What's wrong with Dick Clark?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    His voice is awful. Stroke? Or was it a nip from the old bottle before the show? ;)
  2. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Yes, he is still recovering from the stroke he suffered last year. That was so uncomfortable listening to him. I was cringing the entire time.

You would thing that if that's the best he can do, he would rather have the world remember him for the way he was.

That was the equivilent of Babe Ruth playing for the Boston Braves at the end of his career, but without the home runs.
  3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Yes, a sad, but brave performance. Yes, he did suffer a stroke. That, and he's one hundred and forty-seven years old.
  4. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Seems like he's Accomplished so much, and he should have plenty of money,why doesn't he go out on a higer note.
    Heck w/ the way he's aged, you'd think he has the picture of Dorian Grey.
  5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea it was sad to hear him struggling like that. I do agree that it would have been better for us to just remember him as he was. Maybe do a tribute or something instead.
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I got stuck watching CSI all night :rolleyes: we switched to him as the ball was landing....

my first thought was "OMG, he's actually there and mumbling away" it was sad, but I guess it's good he got to do it the last year of the ball (I heard they are auctioning it off).

my second thought was Mariah must have the same physician as Anna Smith... she seemed a little artificially happy & smug.

I'm glad I only had to suffer about 5 minutes of it
  7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    They're not doing the ball anymore, or not using THAT ball anymore?

I agree about Mariah. She goes away for how many years and now that she's back we're all supposed to ooh and aaah and drool over her?

Yea she's hot, but still...:)
  8. Did anyone else notice he was a second off on the countdown?

Maybe it was the clock he was watching, but when he shouted down from 10 he was a second early for each one.
  9. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    They are not using the ball anymore?

I never heard about Dick Clarks' stroke. I just thought he was extremly drunk.
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i for one am glad to see the tough guy back in the saddle..

nothing can stop the man! a true inspiration.
  11. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Yep :)
  12. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    he still did better than regis. I watch him an hour later on another channel an hour later.
    It went something like this. Keep in mind that at no time did his countdown actually match the real countdown,

10! 9! 8! 7! 6! 5!......4-3-2! 5! 4!

Happy new year!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  13. There's always next year! ;)
  14. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Dick could've been looking at a clock that hadn't been adjusted for the leap second that occurred at 6:59:60 EST.

The powers that be added a leap second onto 2005 to help the atomic clocks that keep 'the real time' stay in sync with the Earth. They add a second every so often so the atomic clocks are never more than 0.9 seconds out of sync with the true time as determined by the Earth's rotation since a day is not exactly 24 hours long.

Here's a site that explains it in more detail --> http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/leapsec.html

Another site as well --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second
  15. I didn't watch much of any of the New Year's Eve programs, but it was just too sad to watch Dick Clark. I felt so bad for him, though in the 20 minutes or so that I watched, I think he might've been pre-recorded. I didn't hear anything he said that couldn't have been prerecorded - mostly just statements of happy new year and passing off to the other correspondants. Just a guess, though. That might explain being off by a second, too. Who knows. Regardless, I just felt so bad watching him on TV - I remember him from years past being so full of energy and excited.
  16. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    For those questioning if/why he was off by a second or so, he had a STROKE :)
  17. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    So what was regis's excuse? seriously, the montor they were watching was probably not in sync with the broadcast image. It's probably that simple.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Dick Clark's voice is just a side effect of the unfreezing process.
  19. now that this question is answered, can someone tell me why paul mccartney wasnt shot instead of john lennon?
  20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I don't follow. What's your point?