whats wrong with hartke

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Nov 4, 2004.

1. well as it says? i love hartke amps...a fair few people on here seem to despise them...whats wrong with hartke?
  2. The hartke cab I tried was awesome! That's why I'm getting one to go with my ashdown, it really does give the sound some thunderously low bass and punch.
  3. well ive tried a few heads and cabs, and i love them all...even the small practise amps souded great...

this is my next amp, head first, then cabinet..possibly 2 cabs eventually
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nothing wrong with Hartke. I just don't think they are fit for 'rockers'! Too clean of a sound. I own 2 Hartke amps and have never had a problem with 'em! I've no experience with the cabs though. The Transporter line just doesn't seem to be able to handle too much power. 200w amp tops into those things. The top of the line cabs seem to have positive reviews though. I don't know. I use Avatars.
  5. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
  6. Don MC

Don MC

Oct 24, 2004
    Me too be wonderin' 'bout the Hartke bashing going on in these forums. Like the pic says, I own one too.
    I play in a rock/heavy band and use this rig live as well as at rehearsal.
    3500 head and 410TP + 115XL cabs. The silver thingie in the rack is a Focusrite Penta compressor.

Even though our drummer beats the crap out of his drums and the guitarrists have to turn their volumes up in order to hear themselves over the drums, I have no problem whatsoever getting myself cut through. My master volume is somewhere at 1 or 1,5. Even at that (very low) setting, the rig is incredibly LOUD. And it reaches very low frequencies too. The bass is shaking the very foundation of our rehearsal place.
    If you look closely, you can see my EQ setting which I've found to be most suitable for me and to this particular setup: A little boost at the low end and some cut at the highs.

The sound is very clean, and that's just what I like. I don't want my bass to sound just like another guitar (we already have 2 of those), but like a BASS that delivers FAT BOTTOM END.

Oh, but I should add that before I bought the 115, the rig wasn't nearly as loud and fat as it is now. At our levels, the 410 alone just didn't cope. The 115 was a well needed addition to the setup and the difference is huge.

(edit #2)
    Oh, oh, and note the even as much bashed Ibanez Soundgears in front. I can't see why people keep bashing those fine instruments. They work just fine and sound as nice as they feel. No Alembics or Fenders can turn my head. Believe me, I've played them all. Sure, an Alembic is a very fine instrument, but it just isn't worth the extra ****load of cash.

7. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Never had a problem with my Hartke cabs (though both are more than 5 years old....). I love them! :)

I play all styles including full on heavy-rock and they do the business with deep punchy low end :bassist:

I believe some of the newer ones though (which are now cheaper) are not so good and seem liable to speaker breakdown... :meh:
  8. well im all for hartke....ill be playing mostly funk, rock and jazz, and they soud suitable for all of them...hell ive seen them heaps...tommy shannon when he was with srv, jaco...even nick seymour uses an 810 side to an ampeg 810.......that being said...i dont like ampeg :bag:
  9. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I play through a Hartke HA3000 with 210XL/115XL cabinets.

My latest fascination has been to make the switch to GK. Not because I think the Hartke sounds bad, it doesn't, but because I seem to have a history of never being content with what I have. My band members keep telling me not to waste my money because they think the Hartke sounds great. Go figure! While I can't totally disagree with them...I don't totally agree either. :confused:

They tell me my money would probably be better spent on therapy. :meh:
  10. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    I don't think there's anything wrong with Hartke. One thing I've noticed , around here and at other forums, is that no matter what equipment you use, be it Hondo or Walter Woods, somebody is going to tell you that it sucks.

I've used Hartke almost from the day they were introduced. I've never had any major problems with their amps. Sure jacks wear out, pots get scratchy but that's normal wear an tear. What do you want from an amp that's 20+ years old? I like the sound of these amps--crisp and clear--some will say cold and sterile--but beauty is in the ear of the beholder! Maybe not the best choice for hard rock or metal, but then again, if this is the sound you want, go for it.
  11. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    As I understand it, a lot of the Hartke bashing started after they became part of Samson Technologies (the parent company of Samson Audio and Zoom Electronics). Samson has had a reputation for budget level products (in the same league to Behringer and Nady). Supposedly the power amp section of the newer Hartkes is the same design used for Samson's power amps. Some believe that Hartke's quality has decreased since their acquisition by Samson. I have a friend whose had a 3500 head and two 4.5xl cabinets for several years and it hasn't failed him yet. I've played through it many times. Very punchy. To my ears it sounded better with his active PBass than my Cirrus. Seemed to have more balls with the PBass (Maybe due to the aluminum cones? Not so sure I'm a big fan of those).

- Frank.
  12. kubicki + Hartke = Perfection :cool: :D

as noted by one stuart hamm :D :D :D
  13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

In addition, I own a HA3000 and a HA5500. Plenty loud and reliable thus far. I plug 'em into a 2x10/1x15 stack. The HA3000 I have dialed up to 12 o'clock but the HA5500 I've never gone past 10-11 o'clock. And I have to turn the bass knob down to about 3 o'clock 'cause it gives me 'too' much bass! Treble knob stays at 2 o'clock.
  14. Yeah that bright, brittle Hartke sound is a love it or hate it kind of thing. I guess it is more important what each individual likes.

I mean, who cares if 1/2 your audience thinks your bass sounds tinny, harsh, bright and too crisp? Screw em!
  15. FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Absolutely nothing wrong with Hartke. Played a 3500 for a few years and it's damn good value for money, plenty power, and I loved the sound.

But there will always be a few persons with a bad experience, and I am glad that they let us know if something goes wrong.

Maybe Hartke is not as sexy as some of the hi-end stuff that you read raves about, but I would always recommend it if it is within budget.

16. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Yes, but then the other 1/2 is thinking that your sound is muddy, ill-defined and boomy.

It's an arguement as old as time itself that will remain unresolved long after the stars burn out. :)
  17. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Interesting statistics.... of course you've asked half the audience at every gig Hartke's have been used at haven't you? :meh: :confused: :rolleyes:
  18. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Without a doubt the best amp/cab's I've ever used. The 3500 is a clean, powerful head, and the 410 is great. The 15" can be a little slow in response, but still is cool.

The only problem I've ever had is that the cabinet fabric keeps coming loose at the rear. Of course, I'm not really gentle with them, either ....
  19. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I like Hartke cause they give you a choice of how much you
    want to spend. The lower priced Transporter cabinets are
    lighter in weight, and when you get old like me, there alot
    easier to lug around.I have a very lightweight rig that is easy
    on my back, and it sounds great.
    Ampeg PB250 head 13lbs
    Hartke 2X10 Transporter 36lbs
    SWR Workingmans 15 45lbs
  20. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Interesting that angelopb has the same opinion about Hartke that he did in the Asdown vs GK post a week or so back. I was annoyed with his comments about GK, but I know I have bashed Harke in the same insensitive manner. Angelopb apparelty hates the sound of solid state amps...unless you can enlighten us. Please tell us what amps you approve of so that we can all sell our "crap" and get something worthy.

I will say that my experience with a 3500 for a couple of years led me to think it was harsh and not very musical compared to some of the other amps I've owned. I have encountered the 3500 and 7000 as backline amps, and still I struggle to get a good tone for my taste. But if they work for you, cool, they are full featured and low cost amps. I never had a problem with mine, but I only owned it for maybe 2 years and didn't gig much during that period, so it didn't get knocked around. Traded it for a WT800 that I kept for nearly 8 years.