What's wrong with Johnson?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lonotes, Jan 20, 2005.

1. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    I've seen several posts here that refer to Johnson basses in a negative light, but I never seem to see any specific reasons given. What's wrong with them? I have a Johnson sixer, and I haven't found anything glaringly obvious yet. What have I missed? You won't hurt my feelings, as I bought this on a whim, as a beater, and to see if I would like a six, figuring on buying a better one at a later time. It looks good, feels good and sounds good. As far as my frame of reference goes, I've been playing for about 30 years, and currently own a Lakland Skyline 5501, Spector NS2000/4, Spector NS2000/5, MIM Fender Jazz w/ J-Retro pre, and a '72 Fender Jazz (not RI, I've owned this one since about '82), as well as this Johnson.
  2. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    If it plays well, the brand doesn't matter. I have a Johnson gui...uh..er..stringed instrument that I picked up for $50 (!). Sounds decent, plays decent - it does what I need it to do. I haven't tried their basses though.
  3. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    Oh, I agree, that's exactly the way I felt when I bought it. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I often see Essex, Brice, and a few others considered as good value in a entry level or backup instrument. But the few times that I see Johnson metioned, it is in the context of a bad example. Since I have no experience with Essex or Brice, but have had a generally positive experience with Johnson, I wonder is my experience unusual? I believe that every manufacturer , regardless of price, turns out a "special" unit every now and then, and they all occasionally turn out a "stinker". Did I get a special one, or is mine closer to the average? It's just a curiosity thing for me, nothing posted here will change my opinion of the particular unit that I own. I'm just curious about how others arrive at their opinions.
  4. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    If it plays well and you like it that's all that should matter.
  5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Oops! I thought this thread was about that herbal enhancement stuff that I see advertised on TV all the time. :oops: But since you asked, there's nothing wrong with my Johnson unless I have been overdoing on the sauce. Try cutting back on the booze and see if that helps.