What's wrong with me.. - lyrics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Microbass, Oct 19, 2002.

1. man... is it a gift to change a situation into something else?

like.. Blitzkrieg Bop was about kids going and getting drunk or something.. does it seem like that?

My lyrics are always too emotional, and straight to the point..

I wanna do what the ramones did.. i dunno if they did it for all the songs.. im not thinking baout that right now.

I need help, any ideas on how I can change what I feel into something.. just completly different? I hope this makes sense. I just feel my lyrics dont get the edge I wanna have.
  2. just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    Your emotions are going to stay what they are. Sometimes I try to put myself into someone completely different or a totally different situation inside my mind, where I'd have those same kind of emotions. And then write about that person or that situation.
  3. hey man.. thanks.. ill give that a try .. :)
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Lyrics should tell a story (IMHO). I always tell the story from first person. That doesnt make me a serial killer, depressive, whatever but have that perspective.

Also don't force it. If you hear a line or see something make a story. If there's a girl with pink hair and a hardware store's entire stock in her face and ears-why?
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Lyrics are about people, moods, situations, and life that day of the week.

What amazes me are some young blokes that seem to have such a grasp of life, and put it into words so well. I've been around a while, and some youngsters just make me say WOW!

If you are writing POP or Rock songs. You have to copy that attitude. What brings people together.

Try to avoid heavy political trips. You don't want a cyanide kool-aid concert.

Love songs are fine. But party songs garner attention too. You want your audience to latch onto who and what you are.

Go for the Bromides/Slogans that they can recite in thier heads and sing along with. They also have to relate to what you are saying....

Avoid heavy political trips!
  6. The Ramones were very emotional, the only thing was that they were all used to the 60's girl group/rock band style of writing songs. As a result they have lots of goofy cliches.
    All lyrics should be emotional, otherwise they're not worth anything, you might as well just plop down some fancy song buzzwords and cliches and be done.

As has been said, don't force yourself to write, at least that's what I think. Otherwise its harder to make the lyrics genuine. At the same time, the more you write, the better you get. So try and keep some kind of pad and pencil by your side so if you get a cool line, write it down.

Its harder to describe how to write good songs, its more of a revelation that appears after you've written a few songs and listened to and read a few songs. The best advice would be, when you're writing, try and pick apart your emotions. Sort of like giving each of them bullet points. For Ex:

"I'm Sad"----->"I feel six-feet under and dropping deeper"

"I'm happy"---->"I could leap a building, bring me your worst, cuz I can be anything I wish"

Something along that lines
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Don't be too hard on yourself for having difficulty with lyrics. I saw a course advertised on the Internet recently. I forget which music school it was, but it had an entire lyric writing course for $800!!! That must mean plenty of musicians feel desperate enough about their lyrics to lay down that kind of cash.

A cheaper way to go, though, is buy a book or two on lyric writing. There are several good ones available. They contain many of the ideas already given above, plus many more. They might inspire you.
  8. Cool guys, once again, thanks for the input. :)