Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats wrong with me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Apr 13, 2005.

1. SADOWSKY"S DONT APPEAL TO ME...am i freak?

its all that square end to the fingerboard..its not natural i tell ya

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You are a freak, but not because you don't like sadowskys. :D

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    its like the green hornet's ride , it's not pimped up like batman's ,

but it smokes 'em just the same.

4. flea-bass

flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    well you do like kubikis...

5. yeah..but they dont have that freakishly unnatural square and to the fingerboard

6. wait...i lie to some degree...this sadowsky is hot
    [​IMG]
    metro ms4

7. flea-bass

flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    Ah, but Kubikis have a freakishly ugly body shape :bag: :D

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well the list would be too long to print, but one of the things wrong with you is you don't do your research:

[​IMG]

Vintage 5 strings and Ultra Vintage 4 & 5 all appear to have rounded ends on the fingerboard because they are 20 fret basses. It is only the 22 and 24 frets that have the square ends.

9. i know they do...but the price of those are unnatural as well
    ive been at the website for a while.....just the price and square fingerboards are shocking
    but mark...that color is putrid

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    [​IMG]

Heres a Metro UltraVintage with a rounded fingerboard end. Thats the "cheap" Sadowsky.

You can choose the colours of basses BTW - I was just demonstrating that not all Sadowsky's have square fingerboard ends.

OTOH if your real complaint about Sadowsky's is that Roger wont sell you the one you want at a price that you can afford then I can understand. But to say you don't like them because of the square FB ends when they do in fact offer rounded ends is just silly. ;)

11. You're not the only one. Sadowskys don't get me either. I personally think a SR5 is much more versatile. Not to mention they look better. Well, mine does at least. :D

We're clearly in the minority but it's all about what gets us groovin' :smug:

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Fine with me... I'm not a big Jazz bass fan.. the bodies just don't do much for me. I liek teh sexier hi-fi bodies like on Spector and Nordstrand.

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Chemical imbalance?

or maybe hit about the face and head as an infant?

14. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    There's nothing wrong with you.

Roger builds a great bass.....but you have to consider what they cost versus what you get. It's a freaking Jazz bass. Get over it.

IMHO,YMMV, ETC

15. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    that body style is way too played out, how anyone could go "ga-ga" over one is beyond me. they really dont appeal to me at all. it'd probably be one of the last basses i'd ever buy, just above an ibanez.

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol :eyebrow:

17. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    My god, is irony a real word?

18. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I don't like Sadowsky's either. I badly want that "cheap" ultra vintage 70's metro 5 mark showed earlier but it is too expensive. That is the only reason I hate Sadowsky.

19. bigcatJC

bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
    Probably about to put my foot in my mouth, but what the heck.

First: I've never played a Sadowsky, but I can't imagine I'd like it enough to pay the prices Sadowsky is asking for what is essentially a Jazz bass. I'm sure it's a high quality instrument, but it seems like it's still the same formula as any Jazz copy (Maple neck, ash/alder body), just souped-up (Figured tops, active electronics, etc). But surely it reaches a point of diminishing returns for dollars vs. value, at least in my opinion. I'm probably just rambling now, but I don't see where the prices come from, other than the brand name. According to the FAQ on the site, a subcontractor does the CNC routing for both necks and bodies. Shouldn't this drive the prices down if there's that much less work done onsite? Not slagging anyone who loves Sadowsky, mind you. Different strokes and all that stuff! If someone is willing to pay the asking price, then that's what it's worth (to them :) ). Please don't let this start a flame war, I just don't get those prices.

Second, I'm not as aware of Heath's history as the rest of the board, so I'm not going to rag him. Lime green probably wouldn't be my choice for a bass, either, but I happen to like the look of the Kubicki. At least Phillip Kubicki tried to come up with an original design!