Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Mar 5, 2003.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    For the past month or so, I have had very little desire to play. I have no idea what the reasons for this might be, but it all started late last year when I started to slowly lose interest in all my side projects. Then going to jam sessions and open mics seemed like a chore. Now I have to force myself to practice, which I've never had to do before, and I have been turning down chances to play gigs, which I never would have done before.

I just don't know why this is happening. The thought that I could be losing interest in bass is really worrying me. I went out to play last night and didn't have much fun at all. :(

I am having getting a bit frustrated with a few other aspects of life, so is it possible that these could be filtering through to my bass life?

Any words or encouragement or suggestions would really be appreciated.

2. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've been the same way lately. I think it's the weather, being winter and all. Just makes me lazy in general.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    thrash, if other aspects of your life are frustrating you, they very well could be influencing your ability to enjoy playing! My advice would be to let time sort it out. When you resolve the other issues, I'd bet a whole lot of things become more fun. Good Luck!

4. If you're losing interest in everything and not just bass, I'd guess that it could be mild depression. :confused:

I'm NO Doctor, but, from similar complaints I've heard over many years from family members and friends and aquaintences, this is the first thing that comes to mind. Think hard to yourself, Thrash: Is there something (or someone) that's disappointed you in the recent past?

Hang in there, lad, Spring is but 15 days away*. :)

Think of it: We lose the darkness and the cold and the ladies lose much of their clothing. :cool:

Mike
    * 8:00PM March 20th Eastern Standard Time

In plain English, we all get the blues once in a while.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Thrash -

I am there with ya, I lost all interest in playing back in late November/early December...of course I can point directly to its cause...

:(

The thing is, eventually it all finds a way back. If you are meant to be a bassist, or musician of any kind, you will start playing again eventually. It took me most of 4 months, but I am slowly regaining an interest the past few weeks.

Be patient with yourself, all will work out.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Not wanting to turn this into my own personal whine thread but that is pretty much nail on the head. In a nutshell, all I really feel like doing is stuff I have to do, like work and sleep.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Mike - but the beginning of spring is IN NAME ONLY here! :eek:

Thanks guys, I hope this is just a temporary thing. I've had the urge to take a break from bass before, but never like this. Guess we'll see what happens - hopefully my chops won't fade away before things pick up again.

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I sometimes feel like that... specially since i do other time consuming stuff that i also love :meh:

taking lessons have definetely helped me to get over this... it kinda "force" me to practice and learning new stuff and how it is applied on music is quite fascinating...

still i had a crisis back in december when I remember contemplating SELLING all my gear and forget all of this... not that I needed the money but it felt weird...

HANG IN THERE!!

8. Yea im kinda in a funk right now too. I have no band to play with and im just not finding anything interesting to play anymore. Victor Wooten is too hard and most rock bands are getting too easy to play along with too. Well im gonna start driving on Friday so that may help me find a band and get out of this funk.

Edit: and im pretty depressed right now, having my dog just put to sleep in all. But Ill get out of this and continue to love my bass.

9. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    There is some really insightful and helpful advice you are getting here. The only thing I can add is that I and almost everyone else goes through some point in there life when they loose interest in the things they love.
    It is almost always outside influences as stated earlier. You don't actually have to solve your other problems to enjoy playing again, but recognizing the problems and working on them might let you enjoy playing the bass.
    I went thru something similar, I even sold my equipment. A while later I was invited to see a really good band and I was so inspired by watching this great bassplayer groove and have the time of his life that I could not wait to start practicing. I realized that when I am playing a bass line, it does not involve family, work, or health, just the bass line counts, and as long as I am having fun playing those lines, everything else can wait!!!!
    All I can say is find out what is the underlying reason for disinterest and then find someone to watch live and get some inspiration!!
    Jesus... all that sounded like Oprah. what the hell am I doing. I guess Mardi Gras and 10 hours of sleep over 72 hours can mess with a guy:(

10. There was an article in BassPlayer magazine called

"Keep the change"

If memory serves, Bryan Beller (Mike Kineally Band) wrote the piece. (beermonkey - correct me If I'm wrong;))

I promise this article will be worth your time, to find and read it.:)

11. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    IAMERICCOCHRANE, sorry to hear about your dog. I worry about my old dog everyday I am gone. About Wooten, I also wanted to play like him, but what is the point, I figure I will never top his style, and will be happy playing my own style and improving where I know I CAN improve... Damn
    Another Dr. Phil moment that makes no sense.
    That's it, I am going to bed!!!!! These fu8nny little creatures on my walls are freakin me out.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

That is so true. If you love music, it'll always be in the mood when you are. And even after a hiatus, you start playing again, those instincts kick in, the love grows again.

13. I'm the other way around. I love to play now. I used to think of lessons as an obligation. Now I can't wait for Tuesdays!

14. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Maybe your getting tired (lack of sleep).

If your tired, youll lose concentraion easily, so that'll explain the 'I force myself to practice'. Also, if your tired, youll find that you seem to spend your time far less economically, so may end up sitting about doing nothing instead of practice.

This is just from my experince, but generally I play at least 30 mins a day (not forced).

15. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    T_J, I'm right there with ya, man...

I've got a major case of the mid-winter blahs, too. I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to go into my practice room, pick up any guitar and play, practice or record...and I've got a variety of instruments to choose from. I'm rehearsing with the band weekly and working on new tunes and have a gig booked in a few weeks, but I'm still very unmotivated.

Me, I'm blaming it on the weather - it's been a long time since it's been this snowy and this cold in Ottawa and everyone I know has some sort of mild depression. It certainly didn't help getting another half-foot of snow yesterday - the snowbanks along my driveway are now shoulder high.

I'm finding it a chore just get dressed, start the car and get to work, let alone do anything that requires self-motivation - I'm supposed to be working on some research for my grad. degree, but even that is becoming a labour of labour....

Hang on for a few more weeks, submerse yourself in some mindless reality TV and come back fresh in April - we're almost there!!!

DD

16. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    okay..thank goodness that this post came up..

I've been in the same rut lately too...Back in July/August my girl left me, then new years eve, the band breaks up...Now my job is starting to get the best of me, and since the job market sucks a big one, I'm just hanging out and sending resumes thinking I'll get a call back...I too am having a hard time just getting up in the morning and facing the day...Just working and sleeping is about the extent of my activities. The weather here in Atlanta has been so sporadic and that may have something to do with it...

I just havent been motivated lately and I feel like my talent has diminished. Maybe it hasn't but I sure feel like it has.

It seems like the bands I've tried out for just dont have what I'm looking for, or to be honest, arent as experienced. So I leave the try-out and get stressed and want to give up..

Its a matter of time for us all when something good happens...Like they always say, "the grass is always greener"....

17. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Soybase, your post made me realize that I have nothing to complain about. I really do feel for you, man.

At least you're out there auditioning. My old man used to say: "Effort pays off." I've found that it usually does - you've gotta make your own luck.

Like you say, it's just a matter of time. For me, all I need is for patio season to start!

DD

18. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I think this happens to all musicians some how or another...I think this is the reason our guitarist left..It happened to me about 7 years ago big time where I sold my amp, and rarely picked up my bass, but when a good opportunity for a working band came up, things turned big time. In those 6+ years my ability improved greatly..I think something else will happen and i'll find that musical "happy place" and things will rock again.

Seriously though, I think everyone goes through it..Its good to see a post like this come up..

Gard, I'll see you this weekend...Can't wait!!!!

19. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    In about 22 years of playing, I've had several stretches where I barely played at all. I had to work to get my chops back after each hiatus, but each time I learned to approach the instrument in a new and improved way, and shed some bad playing habits to boot.

Like others said, the bass will always be there. Unless music is your primary source of income, there's little harm in following your heart away from it for awhile.

Good luck in sorting it out! :)

20. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    This is SO true. I notice this always happens when I put the bass down for a while and break out the guitar....or when I just slack on both of them.

Also, try jumping into some new music.