Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Aug 19, 2003.

1. I hate jazz, funk ain't my thing, and no good solo blues bassists, but I don't really care for blues a whole lot anyway.

Is there something wrong with me? I swear I'm the only bass player that doesn't like jazz or funk, and I can't find any solo bass players that would be good influences for me. Some of Jaco's stuff I like, but I don't indulge in it.

Classical is ok, I'll play it for 10 minutes now and then, but it's not enough to serve as a real influence.

So basicly I look to guitar solos from songs when I want to solo, and it's a pain because some are just too damn hard on bass, with the string spacing and all.

Am I alone here?

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I suppose you could take up sewing.

Or the guitar.

If it doesn't rock you, don't do it. Do something else, you'll be happier in the long run.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    don't worry, you will grow out of it.

i used to hate the "smooth jazz" type stuff, but now playing those covers pays rent and puts dinner on the table.

there's nothing wrong with you, just with Thor! :D ;)

4. Lol :D

I have 2 guitars, but it doesn't have the "feel" to it that bass has. Guitars are too teeny tiny and I prefer the rumble of a bass anyway.

I'm fine playing Metallica/Slayer/Megadeth/etc., but I'm just talking about in terms of soloing. Too bad Cliff Burton passed away, the only soloist I really look up to.

Maybe, but I've attempted to like (I know you can't force it) jazz at least 30 times, but...well, to tell you the truth, it gives me a headache to listen to jazz, I kid you not.

5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Yep! Sorry!

I used to only listen...and play metal. But I was alot younger then! Now I like all kinds of music. My playing has changed through the years.

So if your young, maybe you taste will change in time!........or maybe not!

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Actually. this happens to me when I listen to opera. Live it's OK though.

There are a lot of other genres I noticed that you did not mention. Time to start exploring them. Classic rock. Fusion. Hair Band music.
    The field is so wide that when you start to feel hemmed in, go to the library and take out some CD's. Give 'em back if you don't like 'em. There is a lot of indie music out there to dig. If you love music.

And as far as MR. hatless Ratface up there, don't listen to him. You know that anybody who aspires to pay their bills by playing cheeseball jazz covers in smoky Riverwalk tourist traps to people who could care less, and has to scrape vomit off his shoes every night and coughs up phlegm from all the smoke in the place for 2 days, basically, well, has a warped sense of priorities. Maybe.

I might have overstated that a wee bit. We'll see if he still wants to get together with me next time I come to Texass.

Thor

7. I like listening to the oldies station on the radio, but I'm not going to play that stuff. It's too slow and simple to bother wasting an hour on that stuff, it doesn't help my chops either, so I'd rather just listen, rather than play it.

Hair Band is for hippies...fusion..think I've heard it, 99% sure I won't like it.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!

:D

Jeez, you never stop, do you!?!

9. Learn an Steve Harris bass solo, or Billy Sheehan! haha

10. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
  11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea thats a little weird... what DO you like though? MEtal?

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I think it will. I HOPE it will or you'll end up being like those guys who still dress like it's 1972 and listen to "Black Betty" five times a day (top song though)........

My tastes in music have definitely changed as I get older, definitely getting broader..........

13. when i came to this site, all i listened to was new wave 'rock'.

i read some bad comments, but it never changed my veiws, then i reliased just how true these statements were to me!

now my tastes have grown, and spread out across many a genre. there will be some jazz bands that you like, just finding them at the moment is the problem :)

and i too have been thru this phase... everything is too hard or way to simple..

you'll find someone to spark your brain up.. :)

14. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    You're not alone of course. I cannot say that I hate something (I used to say that in teen days), but till today I don't listen jazz or blues. Funk is OK.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you hate jazz?

what did it ever do to you?

a lot of teens "hate" jazz, or anything that isn't rock, it's usually a bi-product of living with or next to trends.

I personally can't stand a lot of rock music, what's wrong with me? it puts me to sleep, especially prog rock, dream theater...*snore* Lord only was pretty cool because it was pretty fresh and there were a lot of non-progrock influences I could hear.

frankl;y, the heavier it is, the faster I get bored with it, is that so wrong? I mean, I still listen to a lot of punk, and SOME rock(like pusa and stuff) but for the most part, a vast majority of rock music, just makes me fall asleep, I'm dead serious too, Tool, A perfect circle, Dream theater, System of a down, deftones, all of these bands, I have actually fallen asleep while listening. And If I don't fall asleep, I just forget about it, and it becomes total backround music, I can't do that with jazz, especially a lot of jaco's stuff.

That's just me, I don't hate rock though, Just don't find it very interesting at all.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well the obvious answer to your question "what's wrong with me?", is :

"You have no musical taste !! " ;)

So it takes time to develop good taste, like the taste for fine wines - there are no short cuts and you will probably look back at things like this when you are 40 and laugh that you were so naive that you actually came out with things like this! :)

But don't wory - it's all part of growing up and quite natural - just defer to your elders and betters and you will be fine!!! ;)

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I dunno...Coltrane is pretty heavy.
    No?

18. Hmmm..."too simple". I've heard that before, from guys who were shocked when they heard a recording of their playing a "simple" tune. Simple tunes can be as hard or harder than complex ones in some ways. Is your timing perfect? Do you groove? Do you bring out the nuances and feel that the original song's bassist had? You might say yes to the above, but do other people say you do? Can you make Mustang Sally groove so hard that people cant sit still? That song is as simple as they come, but I've heard dozens of bands playing it, and very few of them OWNED it. One of my favourite players is Lee Sklar. He can solo like Pattitucci, groove as hard as anyone on this planet, rock, pop, jazz, fusion, you name it, but what's he best known for? He's the master of the whole note. What that means is, he can play a note lasting a whole bar, and it's HIS. Very few amatuers and not too many pros can do that.
    Jazz not your thing? That's OK. Like Wrongrobot above, I have lost interest in most forms of rock music, it puts me to sleep too. Looking for a more challenging style?
    Like Bruce Linfield and Gard, and probably some other regular posters here, I "discovered" latin american music, and played in a pro latin band for four years. Now there's a challenge for ya. I'm not talking about "The Girl From Ipanema", (god, how many times have I played that in my life?) but the real deal. Salsa, guajira, cumbia, bolero, samba, cha cha cha, tango, meringue, afro-cuban, and many more.
    I am using the latin experience to show that there are many, many forms of exciting music out there, but unfortunately young people in our trend-following society have never been exposed to any of it. Example: in Europe, people grow up listening to jazz as well as rock/pop. Also the music indigenous to their particular country. What do people in the english speaking world get? Britney Spears.......

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    And-
    Sklar was one of the original "Fusion-eers".
    ...he was chosen over Will Lee to record Cobham's classic Spectrum album.
    Many think Sklar was all about being a "Folkie"; for awhile, he did manage to pop up a lot with artists like James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Ronstadt, etc.

I recall reading about one of Sklar's early practice bits-
    Take an LP & rather than spinning it at 33 1/3rpm...practice it at 45rpm. He may have even mentioned practicing The Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There" with this method. When you back to the original 33 1/3rpm...you'll discover a lot more time & space between the notes.
    ;)

Garrett-
    The only thing I can add is this-
    Try not to get too hung up on what YOU find "relatable".
    Some music takes repeated listening & STUDYING.
    As some mentioned, developing an ear takes time & is a lifetime commitment.
    Have fun & explore...

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - he just has no musical taste yet - the more you listen the more you appreciate. Like wine - no teenager really likes good red wine, it takes years to develop a taste for it.

I hated Jazz when I was young - but fusion like Billy Cobham's Spectrum is a way into it....