1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's wrong with my amp? HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by simpy1, Apr 8, 2006.

1. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Well. I just bought a new 8 ohm EA NL-210. This is a good thing. After trying it out, I was very impressed, but then I turned it to gig volume (5/10 on my Trace AH350SMX), and started to get some buzzing - I tried to work out what was wrong. It wasn't my bass. I tried my amp with other cabs, and sure enough the buzzing was there too. I seem to be getting power amp clipping at only 5/10! (And it's worst,as expected, on high wattage cabs, so I'm too scared to use my NL-210). So I promptly stopped, for fear of blowing a speaker.

A few days later, I had a gig. I noticed right from the outset that my amp wasn't sounding like normal - where was my treble? With the treble control on my active bass turned to full, and the horn attenuator on the back of my Golaith Jr. III turned to full, I was still getting a dull tone! (Usually at these settings it is ear-destroyingly sharp). Now I know that even without using the tweeter on my Goliath Jr. I'd still be getting more treble than that just from the speakers, so I don't have a blown tweeter. Again, must be my amp.

What's happening? No treble and not enough power (these are two rare things for a Trace Elliot). Perhaps the clipping is normal for high(ish) wattage 2x10 cabs, however the lack of treble isn't. Any suggestions? I need this amp for gigging on this coming thursday!

I feel a purchase coming on...but I'd like to be able to sell my Trace. I need some serious wattage.

2. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Anyone?