1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's wrong with my Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lmfreeman9, Mar 9, 2008.

1. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I recently bought an Ampeg Rocket 100R used and I'm happy with it. When I play my '81 G&L L-2000 (active) through it. It cuts out on the high end it breaks up completely. It does not happen with my other basses and the G&L plays fine through other amps.

Has anyone had this problem? Any insight would be appreciated.

2. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    bad cord or batttery

3. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Sounds like active overload to me. Are your other basses passive? Do you really crank the active EQ up really high? Does it overload like that when you set the G&L flat?

The B-100R is designed to work primarily with passive basses because of its vintage styling. I couldn't tell if it had a -15db cut on the input or not, but a lot of amps have a -15db switch by the input so they don't get overloaded by active basses. If yours doesn't, that's OK. It should sound fine if you run the bass flat. Really, I'm not a big fan of active basses, and I always run them flat or ever so slightly boosted because it just plain sounds better. Active boosts always sound unnatural to me.

But I digress...try flat and see how that goes.

4. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I will thanks, and I will also try the -15db input.