What's wrong with my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LunarDave, Sep 26, 2002.

1. LunarDave

Feb 5, 2002
    Leeds, UK
    I have an old (80's?) Carlsbro Stingray Pro Bass head which I keep in my band's rehearsal room.
    After about 5 minutes of playing I start getting static-like noises and then the volume fades out to nothing.
    If I switch the amp off then on the volume comes back, but then the problem repeats.

I've checked the cab, by using it with another amp and it's ok.

I'm 100% certain it's not a problem with my leads.

I do however think it's a problem with the power amp section of the amp, as I can connect the amp's pre-amp output up to another amp, and again it works fine.
    I was wondering whether I needed to replace the capacitors in the power amp stage.
    The amp is solid-state.

Ideas anyone?
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The behaviour points to something heat related, and it could as you suggest be a component that neeeds to be changed.

It could also be a faulty connection or solder point that fails when warmed up. Sometimes you can find these by opening up the amp and prodding components and solder points on the circuit board with something (non-conducting I should add). Crackling noices often reveal these things quite easily. Then resolder the faulty connection. As with anything electrical you should not do this yourself unless you know what you're doing.

I think your best bet is to take the amp to a local repair guy/shop and describe this behaviour, hopefully it wouldn't take to long to find.