Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats wrong with my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wilks, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Last night I plugged a cd player into my gallien Krueger 800rb with a 410 cabinet. It was pretty loud and soon everything stopped working. The head lights up as normal but I cant hear anything. I know this wasnt my best idea and I've already checked the fuse. I cant see any visible break.
    I'm sure its the head.
    What could be wrong and how do I fix it?
    Is it possible that its still the fuse?

2. Did u plug it into the Jack input?, if u did you may have blown a resister, get it checked by a proffesional. The output from a C.D player or similar has a much higher output than p/ups, and if u really want to take the chance, keep the input device volume very,very low.
    You should only plug non instrument devices into your amp via the correct inputs.

3. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Trip from Gk here! I agree with Spectorman. Sometimes a fuse can blow and not leave any real visible sign. Check it under a magnifying glass. I had to do this the other day for someone. The fuse was blown but there were no "burn" marks on the glass. Hope this helps.

4. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    By the way I will be in Australia this week. Send me a PM and we might be able to hook up.

5. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I also have an amp problem.

I have a little combo amp. It's a Crate. Sometimes the sound suddenly gets quieter and scratchy, like static. Sometimes I get only the scratchy sound with very faint or no sound.

6. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Hello there! Umm. I'm really not that technically inclined. I am learning though. Sounds like either a dirty jack. Try squirting some Caig DeOxit into the thing and cleaning it out. That sometimes helps. At the worst the poweramp section may be biting the dust. Does talkbass have an amp repair guru? If not we need to lobby to get one.:)

7. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Are you near Cairns (spelling?). That's where I will be for a while. Let's hook up if we can. Send a PM. Maybe I take a look at your problem personally.

8. okay okay I'm getting some sound now. There was a break in my lead. But thats not the end of it.
    Now I'm getting distortion with my sound. I have no idea what the problem is. Could it be my speaker? please help

9. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    If you really blasted the sound levels with your CD player, you could have blown something. Try another cab and if that doesn't work then....hmmm...We'll try to figure this out.

10. I live in a small town and don't have access to any other cabs or heads. Is there any other way I can test them?

11. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    You can give them a gentle inwards push, if the travel is smooth then, generally, they aren't blown. If they are scratchy in their travel chances are they are fried. I did a gig last night at a festival. The sound company provided backline. It was a Peavey MAX bass head with a Fender 410 and 115 cab. I blew both of them out. On the 15 I basically popped the voice coil out of the basket. The 10s died slowly after that. The damage was visible. I apologized to the crew and offered to pay restitution for the damage but they would have none of it. I was off the hook. These speakers were very old and had been used all day. What I am trying to say is that if your speakers were already fatigued from use you may have pushed them over the edge with your CD player. Hope this helps.

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville

Dang.. I've never blown one speaker let alone 5 in one night.. That had to be some nasty sounds comming out of those thing after that

13. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    It was quite nasty. They were old though. I pushed them off the cliff.