whats wrong with my amp?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pyrosquee, Oct 21, 2002.

1. pyrosquee

Apr 24, 2002
    i have a 300w peavey combo amp, i love the thing to death. up to a short time ago, the thing was abesolutly flawless. Had unbeleivable sound and i just wouldn't get rid of it for the world. But then last week, when i play it starts to crackle every once and a while, and each time i play the crackling gets more frequent. I don't know what is wrong. And what makes it even more weird is that its not even certain notes, its completely random. i have a party i'm playing at soon and i really need to fix it, if anyone can help me out, i would REALLY appreciate it. I would also like to know if it is something i can fix, or i have to send it to a pro. thnx
  2. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i had a peavey tnt combo amp and experienced same prob. turned out the input jack(where you plug the guitar in) had a loose solder connection ,fixed it and the cracking stopped, that might be your prob. good-luck..
  3. what the hell, i had that same problem as well, im losing my little piece of faith in peavey
  4. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    As someone said, it could be the input jack on the amp.

If you have an active bass, it could be that the battery is weak and needs to be replaced.
  5. It could be your jacks or your cord crapping out on ya. Happens to me all the time since I cant afford good cords.
  6. pyrosquee

Apr 24, 2002
    well, i thank you all. i'm gonna get some new cords, cause the input jacks where tight. and i'm gonna ask peavey.com about it, thanx guys

7. try playing with a different cable, and if that does nothing, its probably the input. like others, my old amp(peavey minx 110) did the same thing. had to get the input jack fixed and all was good. so the morale of the story is, peaveys have bad inputs.
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think you should buy another amp, I'm sorry. I work in a guitar store and I always see Peavey amps of all kinds in for repair. They are always going bad. You'll have problems with any amp, but Peavey amps just seem to go bad the most.
  9. pyrosquee

Apr 24, 2002
    how mouch do you hink i could get for it, i mean its a great 300 watt amp. and what other amp should i get? any suggestions?
  10. You can pretty easily distinguish speaker problems from electronic crackling, as the latter has more of a 'static' quality.

I had a GK amp this happened on. Turned out that a capacitor needed to be resoldered onto the board.

Take it to a pro. Good luck.
  11. intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    like people above mentioned, its probably the cord or the input.
  12. Start looking for a simple problem first. 1) output jack on guitar, 2) guitar cord, 3) input jack on amp. If all these are fine then you probably have either a loose wire or a cold solder joint inside the amp. This will need a tech. to fix. My Experience.