Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats wrong with my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stephen S, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    My amp blew a fuze a while ago while I was practicing at my drummers house. I never opened it up to look inside or anything but it just keeps popping fuzes. Any one have an idea what might be wrong with it?

2. Probably blew out the power amp section - usually costs a couple of hundred to fix.

Sorry for the bad news.

Good Luck,

Rob

3. well its obvious, its a fuze popper isn't it!
    it diosnt just pop the odd fuse, oh no....much worse.....it pops the fuzzzze!

if u didn't 'open the back', how u know its popping 'fuzes'? u mean in the plug?

*Si*

4. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    When I said i didn't open it I meant I didn't take the whole thing apart and start poking with a screwdriver. Of course I popped out the little plastic peice in the back to replace the fuze. How else would I have known it was blown?

5. Here's the problem: your amp doesn't work properly. Here's the solution: take it to a technician. You have NO business opening it up at all.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats one of the few smart ass remarks Ive heard that contains nothing but valuable advice.

Its best to take it to a pro. Messing around the inside of your amp is dangerous, and you run the risk of serious shock if you dont put ot together correctly.

Peace
    Nick

7. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I didn't $&%*#*% open it, I never said I was going to open it. I'd like to have some idea about whats wrong with it. I'm not rich and I dont have a job, it would be nice to know how much it is going to cost me to fix my amp. I'm not saying that I poked around inside of my amp with a screwdriver, I'd like to pay someone to do that for me, but since I don't have the money I wont do that quite yet. When I do have the money im going to take it in and get it fixed, but untill then for piece of mind I'd like to know what could possibly be wrong with it.

8. Since it has blown several fuses, it is probably safe to say the problem is something (possibly an output transistor) has shorted out causing the fuse to pass more current than it is suppose to. Continuing to replace the fuse and having it to blow will eventually damage other components as well. As to how much it will cost to fix it? That is tough to say without really knowing the exact make, model, and problem. I do, however, remember how it feels to have your amp go down and not have the money to fix it. (I feel your pain) The only choice you really have is to take to a tech and see if he/she will give you an estimate. Then you'll know how much it's gonna cost.....Good luck

9. It's broken. :D

Chris

10. Why do a lot of people here assume I'm always being a jerk? I wasn't being smart-ass. I was being literal. There is no reason to diagnose a problem unless lil_bass_kid intends to fix the amp himself.

Besides for something as vague as blowing fuses, there are several possible causes. Like Greybeard said earlier, obviously the amp is drawing too much current and that means heat and probably damage at more than just the affected area.

lil_bass_kid, I was trying to offer you some advice for both safety and money's sakes. Some of the hardest repairs I've ever encountered were those where the owner had previously attempted repair and had either made the problem worse or screwed something ELSE up.(I've got a nice story about a 50 watt Ampeg guitar head, if you'd like to hear it.) You'd better believe my hourly rate doubles if find evidence of attempted repair by the owner, but more importantly, it takes more time to fix the amp than it should because I, as a tech, have to troubleshoot the whole amp instead of just the suspect area. Even without raising the price, that takes more time and that equals more money.

11. Well, I'm waiting......:)

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Unfortunately, as Greybeard mentioned, there are countless problems that can cause a fuse to blow.

You question is roughly the equivalent of saying "My car won't start, any idea what's wrong with it?"

Chas

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I only said that because the advice you gave him was so obvious. I never said youw ere trying to be a jerk, I said you were trying to be helpful.

Peace
    Nick

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Is your amp a combo or a head/cabinet? If it's a head and a cabinet, are you using a good speaker cable between them (never use an instrument cable).

What ever you do, don't put a larger fuse (greater ampere rating) in the fuse holder. It will only make things worse if you do.

15. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    first off
    There's a difference between instrument cables and cabinet cables? some one explain this to me.

My amp is a Tarce Elliot head the light doesnt even go on. I'm not messing with the fuzes anymore but it never started up, they just pop.

16. Without going into alot of detail, an instrument cable is made to carry very low currents like the signal coming out of your bass; a speaker cable is made to carry very high currents.

That's it in a nutshell.

Good Luck,

Rob

17. Could be LOTS of things but... You're on a budget, it could be very simple to both diagnose and fix, or it could be a real b#tch.

Safety first, unplug it. Then let it sit for 24 hours before you even look at it. Then remove the casing from the head and look for ANYTHING that doesn't look right... loose parts, burnt wires or areas on a circuit board, i.e. the obvious stuff.

If there's something simple like a part that's unplugged or toasted you might be able to repair it. If it's not obvious to you or you're not sure... take it to a pro, eat mac & cheese 'till you can pay the repair bill, and get back into the groove.

Good Luck!

18. This kid doesn't know the difference between speaker and signal cables and you think he'll be safe inside an amp??!!!!

I completely disagree with the above post.

Leave the amp repair to a tech!!!!

19. Is it going to heal? Maybe holistic treatment will do some good? Perhaps tell it that you care for it also. I mean, you're prolly trying to make sure everything's discharged....but. Ick.

:D

Take it to someone that can fix it. That's a no brainer. Don't even screw with it.

20. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Ok here's the low down

This amps previous owner had a problem with wires touching or something like that inside of the amp. My mom's boyfriend and him had a contract saying Phil (my moms boyfriend) and John(the seller) would exchange work on John's car for the amp. The amp had to be in perfect working order, and the van had to have repairs equaling the value of the amp. The wires were fixed with a hot glue gun and the guy said he thought it would hold and since it didn't he agree to pay for repairs to the amp. At least that is what I was told. All is wel in the land of Trace Elliot.