Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's wrong with my ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fake Trees, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    Hi,
    I am having a problem with my ampeg B2R head. I am currently running it at 8 ohms through a avatar speaker, and i was wondering why is it that my limiter and peak leds flash when the gain and the master are both set at around 1-2 o'clock. My questions are the following, is it safe to raise the master even after the limiter starts flashing? and Is it sopposed to do this?

any imput would be very helpful, thanks

2. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Hi Faker:D

I have a B2R also, running through a BSE-410H (8ohm) cab.

If your bass has active pick/ups, that would make your amp peak out easier.

Is your GAIN set correctly? A hard pluck of your lowest note should just make it flicker.

Turning up your volume with the Limiter switched in shouldn't hurt a thing. The LED just lets you know the Limiter is doing it's job.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    hmmm... the limiter will protect you gear true, but I'd hate for you to rely on it. You really should look at ways of eliminating the peaking.

Have you considered a second 8 ohm cab? The extra resistance will make your amp push out more watts. Plus all that extra speaker cones area will give you quite a volume boost. So you can turn the amp down and not run it so hard.

4. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Pete's right about that. I've done this before, and it WILL make a world of difference in your sound!

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here we go again. Adding a second cab will DECREASE the resistance. This will cause an increase in output current, thereby increasing the power output.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What Munji said = Decreased resistance. I was thinking "increased volume" and typed the wrong thing. Sorry.

7. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    i know this unfortunatly i dont feel like lugging around two cabs and dont know if the parents would be happy with it either. Besides when i finally get my used volvo sedan i wont be able to fit two cabs in the back seat...

8. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    So how about tradin' your 8ohm cab for a 4ohm?

9. The nameplate on the front :D

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    And I was so proud of myself for resisting the temptation.

11. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Wait just a minuite now! A lot of bassist happen to like Avatar cabs.:p

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You guys are gonna cop a spanking from the Ampeg fans any second now.......

Back to the original problem. That amp puts out 350w at 4 ohms, so I'd guess it putting out 250w or so at 8 ohms. I'm not sure which Avatar you're using but it cam probably handle a lot more watts than that. Maybe it's time for a more powerful amp?

13. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Close...200 watts @ 8ohms.

Whatever your cab configuration, the B2R really sounds much better with a 4ohm load on it.

14. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    As suggested
    Turn your pre amp gain down till the red light flickers on the loudest notes. Then turn up the power amp volume.
    Another speaker cab will increase your volume.
    You can fit 2 cabs into the back seat of your car if they are small enough. Bag End 15's, Aguilar 12's etc....:bassist:

15. sounds like your overdriving your input, are you using an active bass ? i had a b2r amd it was much happier driving a 4 ohm load, after many failures with the internals (sloppy workmanship) i sold it and bought a swr 4004 (better tone, most reliable)...i also run a couple sunn 200s into two ampeg 15" cabs and the tone is to die for !!! the only problem with your head is that it is not a SUNN !!! GET RID OF IT BEFORE IT SELFDESTRUCTS.....

16. Yep. Way more clean power available at 4 ohms with this head.