Whats wrong with my baby?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4String_Ninja, Sep 15, 2000.

1. 4String_Ninja

Aug 14, 2000

When I plug in my bass it sounds ok at first then the volume drops and it becomes distorted, and i know its the bass doing it because i've tried multiple amps. PLEASE HELP ME!!!
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Is it an active bass? check the battery...more info needed
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    It could be your battery if you have active electronics, if not it could be a bad pot (potentiometer), bad ground, loose wire somewhere...could one of a few things.
  4. open up the back and make sure 1st that no wires are loose then take out the battery and test it with something (I use my tounge) and if it's poop get a new one and it'll be brand new =)... damn batteries! that was my prob recently and my bass is better than ever!

5. Hey, Willz. I just acquired my first active bass; a MM fretless Sterling. I just put a brand new battery in it. How long, typically, with light use (one or twice a week) should a battery last?
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Depends on the circuit's power consumption and the natural discharge process of the battery. On most basses you'll be fine for at least a month or more. Just make sure you check your battery frequently - escpecially before gigs! I recommend rechargable ones - to save your money and the environment...
  7. Hey Slaphappy, I have got a sterling too, but not fretless, anyhow the battery seem to last for quite some time. Naturally it depends on how much you play the bass with a cord plugged in. Always remember to unplug the bass when you are done playing,, this in order to shut the active preamp down. I would say that 2 months is a fair guess, but always keep a spare in your case, just in case.

Actually I noticed that when the battery is getting bad the bass (Sterling) distorts some when played hard.. I changed the battery and the distortion was gone. So unexplainable distortion might be a good sign for a new battery, at least with the Sterling.

Hope this helps.

[Edited by Mesa Man on 09-17-2000 at 08:33 AM]
  8. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Mesaman, two months only? You have to play a lot.. Musicmans should run something like 1500 hours on one battery. I wouldn't know, I have phantom power in my amp :)
  9. My Ibanez Ergodyne lasted from like June till about the begining of sept.. it started distorting whenever I played a lil hard.. oh well.. new battery and all is well =) *goes off and plays Damage, Inc. harder and faster* Rock-on

10. It's probably the battery if it's an active.
    But if it's not, there is probably a loose connection.
    Get out the Soldering Iron!
    Or the input thingie is broken or something.
    That is a recurring problem with my budget instruments.
    Ok Desu Ka.
    Krazy kow
  11. Hmm well two months, did I say that? Well I guess I did, Now that I come to think about it.. I cant remember when I changed the battery ;) But it must have been something like april.. erhhm, well I guess we will notice when our batterys run out. Remember to keep a spare!