1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's wrong with my bass head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Naminator01, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Naminator01

Naminator01

Oct 29, 2005
    Ok guys, here is the deal.

So the B2RE head arrived along with my 410HLF classic.

Great stuff, awesome tone and chest pounding lows.

The problem is if I play it for more than 20 secs, cracking noises start and suddendly the sounds loses all its warmth and I'm left with a distorted volume-less squeal.

I took it to the local guitar shop and they had no idea what was wrong with it, since when I played it there it didn't make the noise.

No, it's not my battery, tried it with 4 different basses, different cables. And I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the current.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong with the current and what can I do to fix it?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Your head is toast. Sounds like a loose solder joint somewhere or a bad preamp tube if it has one.

3. Naminator01

Naminator01

Oct 29, 2005
    BTW, I tried the amp in another room and the screeching sound wasn't present.

It's just in this one. Do you have any idea what I could fix in this room?

4. Well, it's obviously something with the power. You should try different outlets, and maybe try using a powerstrip or something with it, although I don't know if that would help.

5. If it only does it in one room, then logic says it's something about the room.

You might want to evaluate what else is on the circuit you're plugging it into, and also check to make sure the outlet is wired correctly (you can buy a little 3-prong tester at Home Depot or ACE hardware that has indicator lights telling you if the wiring is backwards).

I'm wondering if you have an overloaded circuit with a breaker that's not tripping for some reason. If so, you should find out about it and replace the breaker for safety.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    For sure check that out. A breaker that doesn't break when overloaded can start a fire inside the walls where you can't get at it. You don't want that.

Some houses that have been renovated by owners who don't know what they're doing have all sorts of electrical things done wrong that are a potential disaster. Cheap extension cords run through the walls in place of properly rated wire, no grounding, you name it. Then someone plugs in too many things into one circuit and it burns up.

7. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    +1, had a dry solder joint on the input jack on mine, sounded like all hell on fire. Have a tech go over the boards before you go to the deeper probs.