whats wrong with my bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Jul 31, 2001.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ok heres the deal

I have a spector neck through with active electronics. I noticed the other day that when i plug my bass into the amp it makes this real loud sitorting sound for about 30 seconds then goes away slowly. Also, when i turn some of my knobs they make kind of a hissy scratchy sound. I THINK that this might mean i need to clean my pots, and if so how do you do this??. If yo guys have any idea what my problem is could u please drop me a line. I checked and its not the amp of cable, and i don't run any effects. thanks.
  2. I don't have anything to offer on the weird sound from plugging in the instrument but cleaning the pots is easy.

Go to your local electronics supply store and get a can of contact cleaner. Make sure you get the type that evaporates without residue. Sometimes they have a lubricant in them. Also make sure you get one of the small plastic straws that attach to the nozzle to direct the spray into tight spots. Then spray this directly into the openings of the pots while turning them. It will flush out the crud and brighten the contact metal to clear up your problem.
    Don't worry about getting the stuff on your basses finish because it evaporates so quickly that nothing will happen. That's about it.
  3. you could have crap on your cord too.....or some in your input. you can clean it in some conventional way...or do what i do. blow in the input (remember nintendo cleaning methods?) and get the cord moist and wipe it off.
  4. hmm.. fade-out eh ? sounds like a blown-up condensator to me :(
  5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    "hmm.. fade-out eh ? sounds like a blown-up condensator to me"

what is this? i know its not the amp or cord cuz ive tried a few amps and cords. I'm almost positive its not the imput either cuz i just had that replaced 3 or 4 monthes ago. thanks alot for the info on how to clean the pots, i'll go out and buy that contact cleaner right away.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Did you check that the battery is good? All kinds of strange things can happen when the battery starts to go.
  7. Whoopsy.. sorry... my mistake..
    I think you english people call it a " capacitor "..
  8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    All I could do when I read this was :). Mem-m-m-m'rie-e-e-es...
  9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN

hey thanks english? dude. thats sounds like it might be it. I'll have it looked at by a guitar tech post haste. Yea about the nintendo comment, that brought back the days of 2d gaming. I still play regular nintendo more than anything, just doesnt get better than original megaman. i played the new one on my PS2 and it was missint sumthing. well anyway thanks for all the advice, looks like i'm probably not gonna be able to fix it but i at least have a good idea whats wrong.
  10. it's your battery dude change it.
    when my battery was dying out from me playing so loud so i could get some gain overdrive it kept like that at any volume and would fade in and out and stop and then go clean and stuff weird as hell.
  11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I believe its a capacitor too.