1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

whats wrong with my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbird99, Jul 8, 2012.

1. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    I did something really stupid to my epiphone rock bass. The paint was chipped and it had dents in it , so I thought I'm just gonna spray paint it , so I took off the neck and the strings (duh) okay so the paint had dried by today and I put the neck back on (I don't know if I did something wrong I just screwed in the bolts until they wouldn't anymore l. The next part I think may be the problem I put the old stings back on that have been on it for god knows how long definitely longer than7 months (when I purchased the guitar) after I put on the strings I tried to play but the 1-4 fret just make like a pa sound and stop barely any sound at all and definienly not playable so is it just the strings or did I mess up the neck.

2. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    You might not have set the neck back in the pocket properly, also if the neck was left off for a while you might need to adjust the truss rod. I am not familiar with the Epiphone bass, but definately make sure the neck is set-in properly in the neck pocket. Remove the strings, remove neck and reset the neck-pay attention and seat it in properly, restring and tune to pitch then check relief. I have done this myself before, no big deal! There are also a lot of tutorials on 'you tube' if you need help! Good Luck.

3. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    This^ also if you painted in the neck pocket it may be harder to fit. There really isn't anything bad you can do by taking the neck off. You can try to make a shim and change the action a bit. It could be the strings though, if they are old, they might have been stretched.

4. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    ^Good point, I did not think of paint in the pocket...That would definitely cause a problem. It is amazing what paint, piece of wood, or any foreign object can do to the neck pocket.

5. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    I suspect operator error

post some pics, we'll help you out

6. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Besides the good points above, paint build up in the holes in the body for the neck screws can cause the screws to bind in the body and not pull the neck down all the way. Make sure the screws slide easily through the holes.

mech

7. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    PS you might want to check the action at the bridge
    had a feeling thats a good place to start.

8. Once a neck has sat for some time without string tension, the trussrod will tend to bend it backwards a bit.
    It takes time for it to settle back where it needs to be after re-stringing.

As long as there's no obvious signs of error in reassembly, I say leave it alone for a few days.
    Check the tuning now and then, and wait for it to stabilize.

9. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    The neck was only off it for 1 day

10. surfaday

surfaday

May 15, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR
    I agree with Keith, if it's properly reassembled it will take time for the string tension to pull it back into its former setup, even if the neck was only off for a day. Sometimes I have fret buzz for a few hours after just changing strings.

So check the paint in the pocket and all the other advice and you should be good to go.

I'd wait a day for it to settle in before adjusting the truss rod though.

11. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Sounds like a truss rod issue, and depending on how thick the layer of paint is.

12. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    Thanks guys for all the advice you guys were right I let the strings sit overnight and the next morning she played!

13. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    this is it the white is before and blue is after i did a pretty crappy job but i still think it looks better.

Attached Files: