1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's Wrong With My Bridge?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fendsboy417, Mar 22, 2009.

1. fendsboy417

fendsboy417

May 1, 2007
    So I got these new ROTOSOUND swing 66 strings. I love the tone, but I seem to have a very annoying problem. During band practice, the bridge gives out and collapses under the A string (80 gauge) and it sounds like I'm strumming a dying chicken. My bridge looks like this http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/accessories/0055257000_xl.jpg (Fender bridge) and I just can't figure why it keeps dropping out. I've adjusted the action and tried to restring the bass multiple times, and can't figure it out. The bass itself, for those who are wondering, is a Fender Deluxe Special P bass.
    Thanks.

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Can you explain what you mean by the bridge is "dropping out"? What exactly is happening to the bridge?

3. fendsboy417

fendsboy417

May 1, 2007
    To be honest I don't really know what the parts of the bridge are called, but the hammer-looking piece (perhaps called the saddle?) that the A string is strung on literally drops, as if the action adjustment pieces give out. The string is then basically lying against the neck.

4. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    You seem to be describing the classic gripe people have with Fender bridges. I believe that some have solved this problem by appliying a bit of adhesive (I can't recall what others have recommended) to the screws once you set it up the way you like.

5. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    sounds like you have loosely worn or altoghter stripped threads on a height adjustment screw. You'll need to either locktite it in position, or replace the saddle and screws.

Are these saddles made with soft metal or is it the screws? I've had quite a few of these strip out completely...once remedied, in the future do your adjustments with slack on the string as not to wear the threads against string tension.

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    if it's just dropping to the base of the bridge plate, it sounds like the threads in the bridge or the screws are stripped maybe?
    You can get a new bridge or a new saddle and that'll fix it.

7. bigTbass

bigTbass

Nov 17, 2008
    PA
    I would think that the saddle is made of softer metal, probably brass plated with chrome. The problem is probably with the threads in the saddle. I would replace that for sure, you might as well do the screws too since they are cheap.

allparts sells individual saddles with the intonation and height adjusting screws, not sure if these are standard sizes or not.

8. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    locktite, best stuff for makin screws not move. its basically metal glue, but it will come off with a little heat, so it would be perfect for this application

9. Loctite is made for that purpose or you can use nail polish. Do a string set-up, once the saddles are adjusted properly, loosen the strings, turn the saddles over and apply locktite or nail polish to the threads of the protruding screws. Let it dry and then reassemble. If it happens again then you have some very loose fitting screws. Sometimes swaping screws to different locations improve the situation, or get a new bridge.

10. fendsboy417

fendsboy417

May 1, 2007
    Thanks for all the help.
    I headed over to Guitar Center and they said that the threads are probably stripped. Guess I'll be replacing some saddles this weekend.

11. Does anyone sell just the saddles with screws? A complete new bridge may not cost any more.

12. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I think something is wrong with mine too: tacoma2.

Sorry, I had to do it.

13. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
  14. Ahh... resonance at its best! (Worst? Nah.. way to funny :p )