Whats wrong with my fingers?!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jan 2, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Over the last week, my fingers have started to go weird, i havent been playing as much, like an hour every 2 days (because i have been away on holiday :D )

do you guys have any idea why they are doing this? its happening on both hands. if it helps, i have been in a chlorinated pool twice in the last week. Do bass players fingers normmaly start to loose skin like a snake in the hotter weather? (im in australia remeber) ;)

Little help? :( :eek:

P.S. sorry if the pic grosses anyone out
  2. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I think my fingers were sort of like that once. Honestly, what I do is just play the heck out of your bass and toughen your fingers up so that they'll be rock hard. Mine have gotten to the texture where they just don't seem to be weak enough to peel.

:mom voice:
    Don't pick at them either
  3. ATLPUNK246

Jun 26, 2001
    sorry but i think your gonna have to cut them off
  4. Entirely normal. This is occurring bcause you have callouses that are peeling a bit - I get em all the time.

Thank you and goodnight.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Speaking of gross, this is how I got past my phase that you are in now. I did really heavy slides and tore up my fingers. Totally destroyed them, but my fingertips never complained after that. Ahhh to be young again.
  6. Mine did that after I took a two year break from playing. It's normal, like Matt Till do a lot of sliding and that will help beef em up. Also after I started my last job, which involved a lot of water and non harmful chemicals, they were doing it real bad. So the chlorine could be a culprit but not the only.

Anyway so I have this problem with my feet, here is a picture:

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have a similar (but not quite as extreme) condition. I think it is related to skin drying around this time of year. Try a little lotion on your hands everywhere except your fingertips.
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    If they actually rip you can use a little superglue to put all back in place. I've had to do that.
  9. ill get the station wagon...:rolleyes:
  10. I've gotten my hands and fingers like that in the past many times but much, muuuuch worse... what hapens to me is a kind of infection or something caused by having contact with irritating substances, earth and dirt, and because of weather changes.
  11. MoTown

Nov 27, 2002
    It's normal...BUT, you could have a type of fungus on your hands if you wear latex gloves for work ,etc that can cause that. Use the fungal sprays for athelete's foot on your hand if that's the case and it will clear it up. Don't freak out man! LOL.
  12. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

DO WHAT???????
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Dr Mike! Where you been, man? We miss you around here.:)
  14. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Thanks Embel, had to take care of some personal things (new job, wife had breast cancer but doing fine), but will be around more now.

15. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Mine did the same thing when I was in a different climate and not playing so much..I started using brick mason's hand cream after showering and that helped..If it starts to HURT when you peel it off, then you may want to go to the dermatologist.

You may have to cut them off, though

16. I would think just being in the pool is softening up your fingers and thats how they're reacting. I don't even like to wash the dishes or take too long of showers because stuff like that happens to me.
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Man! Glad to hear that your wife is OK, that is a bad thing to go through. Take care!
  18. Don't play right after having your hands (fingers) soaked in water(bath, shower, pool, and other way of of getting H2O on them. Washing about ca.5 minutes before playing is ok though.

May be I'm just paranoid, but it works 4 me:)