1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's wrong with my power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by truecanadian04, Feb 25, 2013.

1. truecanadian04

truecanadian04

May 4, 2011
    Canada
    Not sure what happened but my peavey pv3800 isn't working. I was jamming out the other day and everything was all good. The next day I turn my amp on and I got nothing. All noticed all the lights were showing what they normally do except for my power amp. The light was stuck on the SIG with an orange light. Not sure what to do or where to take it. Has anyone else had this problem.

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Did you check the fuse?

3. If lights are showing the power fuse is OK. Sounds like the unit needs some TLC from a tech. If the unit has and effects loop run a signal cable from the send to the return to eliminate that possibility.

4. truecanadian04

truecanadian04

May 4, 2011
    Canada
    How much does it cost to get a tech to replace a fuse and check it out? How do I know if its not worth getting fixed? Should I just look into a new power amp?

5. Hi.

IIRC the orange/red signal led indicates a fault.

That, as Paul there suggested, requires a trip to a tech if You aren't versed wth electrical safety procedures and diagnosing and repairing wall voltage appliances.

The diagnose and repair prices vary, but usually it's unfortunately not feasible to get Peavey products repaired because of lack of schematics.
    Things may have changed in that regard since I last needed 'em though.

In future needs of amp repairs, the amp in question in the thread title will attract the various (un)official factory reps of the said brand to offer their help.
    There's quite a few of them on TB, including at least one for Peavey.

Regards
    Sam