Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats wrong with my ric 4003?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gareth, Dec 17, 2002.

1. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    The output from the bridge pup seems much smaller than the neck pup. With both pups on and the volume knob set full for the bridge pup, I only have to set the volume of the neck pup to about a third for it to equal the volume from the bridge pup.

Is this right or is there something wrong with the bass?

2. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Since it's not a Wal, we'll forgive you this time..:D
    If the rear pickup is half the output of the front, that means the back pickup is going bad and will probably need to be rewound. The magnet may be weak. This was a common problem in the 4001 basses. What year is this bass? :eek:

3. BassBaron

BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    Walbassman is somewhat out of his element. As a 4001 owner I can tell you that there is a capacitor across the volume pot for the bridge PU that needs to be bypassed with a piece of wire in order to have equal volumes from both pickups. I'm guessing the 4003 is the same cause that's the exact problem I had with my 4001 (with solution provided by TalkBass ;) ) Do a search for more info.

4. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I had thought about the cap. but that only worked with one of the Ricks I owned ( I have had 55)..
    Maybe now I am not a Ric player but have plenty of experience with them...:D

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    55, huh? And only one had the cap?

6. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    All of them had the cap, I had one that was a 78 that had that problem with the back pickup not getting the output so I removed the cap and put the wire across and it was STILL weak.. The pickup was tested and found to be weak. Had it rewound and it went well after that. :D

7. BassBaron

BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    Maybe I'm just a little slow, but how does rewinding a pickup bring it back to life? Does copper wire "wear out"? The magnet partially demagnitizing seems more likely which rewinding wouldn't help.

8. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    if i could refine my oringinal thread and maybe ask you ric 4003 players - what should the balance be between the two pups - if both are on full volume should you hear each pup to the same degree - presumably you coulf prove this by turing the volume up full, striking an open chord then switching the toggle switch and notice no difference in volume between the two pups on their own and when combined.

what do you think?

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    One of the rics I used to own had a similar problem. The neck pickup was too high & the bridge was alittle too low. The neck pickup wouldn't go any lower & IIRC, I had to have the body routed slightly to make it go lower. I hope it something simple.

10. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    The neck p/u has a little lower volume than the bridge p/u on my '01 4003. If I want them evenly matched, I need to reduce my bridge volume about a 1/4 turn.

Gareth, here's a great RIC forum:

www.rickresource.com

Have you tried to raise your bridge p/u?
    The neck p/u is NOT adjustable!