Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats wrong with my rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wilks, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Hey all,

Last week my GK 800RB died while plugged into my 410 HPS cabinet. Crackling was heard and then the volume faded and came back then nothing was happening at all.

Since then, I've purchased a peavey nitrobass and today when i plugged it in to the same HPS 410 cabinet I could hear a light rattling, distorted sound.

Whats wrong with my amp?
    Is it just a dodgy speaker cabinet (it cost $600 AU new) or a cracked speaker? I'm certain its not the head.

Thanks in advance.

2. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Bad cables? (never hurts to check them)

Bad jacks on your basses/amps/cab?

Power issues? (are you getting enough juice from the wall?)

3. Yah, my guess would be the jacks on the cab, cables would be my second guess.

4. wonderboy

wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    it is probably the head. i had a gk for a bit and it was new. then after only a few hours use it would randomly short out. i called up gk and they said they knew exactly what the problem was and that many users had sent theirs in and i did the same and got it fixed. then sold it. but i paid the 20 bucks to ship it out. they called and expected me to pay the shipping to get it back i said HELL NO and they said fine. and they paid for it. so all in all i say it's the head. and gk can fix it. that is all.

5. HannibalSpector

HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Australia
    I've had this problem.
    If you have active electronics in your bass , you need new battery.
    Other than that I'd suggest checking another speaker box as well as all of the above.
    I'd say a speaker in your cab has a torn cone or burnt voice coil too.

cheers

6. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    He/she encountered similar problems with BOTH heads. It's not the GK. Also, although you may or may not have had a bad experience with GK's customer service, your personal anecdote is completely unnecessary. It contains no relevant information, so next time, please spare us. "That is all."

7. Thanks for the help guys. I've verified that the problem is a faulty speaker. When i move one speaker in and out, i hear a scratching noise. I don't hear this with the others. Is there any way to repair this or will I have to replace the speaker?

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    just replace the speaker with the same type if at all possible. another type of speaker could give you some funky sound. And make sure the polarity is correct. Otherwise you'll get bad out-of-phase sounds. Good luck!

9. wonderboy

wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    what in god's name are you talking about??! i believe the post was 'what do YOU think is wrong...." i answered the question from personal experience. so you saying it had no relevence is ridiculous. and when i said 'that is all' i meant that is all i have to say about that. get it through your thick skull. now THAT is all!

10. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    :rolleyes:

//edit: I suggest that you reread the post before misquoting it. I also suggest you rethink the intent of your initial post before defending it as a post full of possibly useful information. Last, "that is all" was quite obviously the end of a rant, not a suggestion as to what might be the problem.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Boys, BOYS!

That's all.

12. wonderboy

wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    you live in iowa. enough said.

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO

Word. Stop arguing and leave it- Wilks said he foudn the problem anyway. Be considerate of your fellow TB'ers- none of us are mind readers ya know ;).

14. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Munji - Cute as always

5string - I'm not really arguing, just making simple points... ;)

wonderboy - Grow up, get over it. Also, I'm quite happy at ISU.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Wilks, always recone where possible. It's cheaper than buying a new speaker and you get almost every part of the speaker replaced.

I don't know of any re-cone places on the South Coast but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Ask around. If not, there's a mob in sydney (Ashfield)called "THe speaker Hospital". They're awsome.

16. Dig around yer local music stores: You're bound to uncover a re-cone - able techie. And see the great ruckus you caused?!

Rog.:)

17. Wow I did cause a ruckus didn't I.

Thanks for all the help guys. I should be able to get this sorted out now. So no need to keep arguing.

Thanks again.

18. HannibalSpector

HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Australia
    It's a cheap cab , so it probably isn't even worth reconing.
    Is your cab still under warranty(12months)?

The cheapest and best(for the price) speakers I've found are here: www.cannonsound.com.au
    You could also find some second hand stuff. Pity you don't live in Sydney , I've got some 10s out of a Labsystems quadbox I want to sell.

cheers

19. avatar.

20. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :) We don't get Avatar her in Australia! OR Aguilar, Acme, Bag End, Bertango.... I'm only up to B. We're at the ass end of the world remember. Transport costs and taxes makes things pretty expensive by the time they get here.

Funny you should mention Cannon Sound. I've ordered 2 speakers from them just recently. THe brand is P.audio and on paper they look great, especially for the money. Apparently Epifani use P.Audio horns and Eminence drivers (another brand you should consider).