What's wrong with my SansAmp BDDI??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by silentstranger, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Okay, so I just got my SABDDI from a guy on Ebay a few days ago... I tried it out with my Fender BXR-60 and it sounded great, really made that crappy little amp sing and sound like something twice the price. The overdriven sound was also great, exactly what I was looking for. So, I took it to band practice, thrilled with the thought of being able to go direct to the PA and not carry an amp. I plugged it into our PA, and it sounds like CRAP!! And this ain't some wimpy little garage band PA; we've got a quality mixer, a QSC RMX850 powering two 15"+horn mains, an RMX2450 powering two 18" subs, and another RMX850 powering three (I think?) monitors, and a new DBX crossover (which I'm totally clueless about). With a PA like that, I would think the tone through the Sansamp should be killer, right?

I've never been a big fan of my bass sound direct to this PA, but I attributed it to the lack of bass guitar-focused EQ on the mixer and just dealt with it when I had to...I expected that the Sansamp would solve that problem for good, but it actually makes it sound a bit worse! :mad: The sound was too quiet, pure mud, had no definition, and when I turned up the drive, the distortion was beyond wimpy and I could barely even tell it was overdriven beneath the mud. I tweaked it enough to be able to hear myself and get through practice, but it was still all boom and no personality.

We didn't have the time to spend hours twisting knobs, but I did check the cables and tried both the 1/4" and XLR outputs; all produced the same crappy tone. Considering that it worked great in combination with my practice amp, is the problem most likely to lie with the PA, the Sansamp, that mysterious DBX crossover that was recently added to the PA, or do we just not know how the hell to use our equipment?? Anyone ever experience this problem before? :confused:
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I think it sounds like you have good gear.

Maybe you need to spend some hours twisting knobs. ;)

Edit: Seriously though, if you set the blend knob on the SansAmp fully anti-clockwise, the bass and treble at noon, and no drive it should act as a transparent DI and give you your bass' sound. Then work from there and see what happens when you tweak it. It's likely you don't want as much bass and blend as with your smaller amp.
  3. In my experiance, Sansamp stuff sounds best through the board and like mush live. Try turning the bass and treble down a notch and cranking the volume for a more mid-emphasised sound. Or tweak that blend knob of course....
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    They sound like that when the battery dies or when the phantom power from the board is faulty. -Bad XLR cable could be the cause. Did it work great through the practice amp AFTER the PA disaster? IME these boxes sound very good through a PA. they are noted for consitency. I think you have a power problem or some other type of fault.-
  5. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    unless something is malfunctioning in the chain the sansamp will sound very good with most any good P.A.:confused:
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds like it needs a new battery.