What's wrong with my sodding amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dkmonroe, Nov 22, 2002.

1. dkmonroe

Jul 3, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a Peavy TKO 115, it's about 7 years old. Recently, I've noticed that it's producing a distorted sound, as if I was using an actual distortion pedal, or had the overdrive cranked up all the way.

My first conclusion was that there might be a crack or a tear in the speaker cone, but I removed the speaker and examined it closely, and I see no sign of damage. When I put the speaker back in and turned on the amp again, the noise was gone. Since then, I've had a couple more instances of the distorted sound returning, and I just removed the speaker, put it back in, and the distortion stopped.

Has anybody else ever encountered a problem like this?

Just for info's sake, the amp was used regularly for the first few years I owned it, then sat in a closet unused for about 2 years. I started using it again about a year ago. I have a Vigier Excess II bass and a Fender Jazz Bass MIM, and when the amp's making the noise, it does it with both basses.

Thanks for your help!
  2. Probably a bad connection or bad solder joint in the amp. When the distortion comes back, give it the old technical tap (band hard on the top of the amp repeatedly with your fist) while letting a note ring. If you can hear the effects of banging your fist, then there's a bad connection somewhere. Also while letting a note ring, jiggle the guitar cord where it enters the amp right at the jack, turn all the knobs, tap on the knobs, etc. You want to rule out a mechanical connection problem by doing all this.

3. And hey, I just realized you're an hour away from me! Wizard electronic repair over by Guitar Center can fix it.

4. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    some friends have had the exact problem with their peavey amps. it seems like a common problem with them.
  5. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    If any of the controls are the least bit scratchy, try cleaning them. My Peavey did the same thing and a good control cleaning fixed it right up.

6. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Most of the peaveys I have seen with this problem turned out to be the input jack. You can pull the head section of the combo out and inspect the jack and the connection onto the board ( the connection onto the doard is where I have seen most problems).