Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's wrong with my tv?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ole Jason, Mar 12, 2004.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I'd be willing to bet some of you guys know a lot more about tv's than I do. The color is all messed up just like if you hold a magnet next to it for awhile (no I didn't do that!). The tv hasn't been moved and nothing new has been moved next to it, I just woke up and it was like that when I turned it on. It's only about 2 years old and I've never dropped it or anything. I hope it fixes itself before my girlfriend gets home haha

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I guess it's a tube TV? Is the discoloration in one spot or is it the whole screen..... did you try and change the channel????

let it cool down for an hour.

Do you have a surround sound speaker on it?

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Do you have stereo speakers close to it???

A lot of home theater and stereo owners put their speakers close to the TV and mess it up.

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    True.... but the new ones are insulated.. do you have the warranty still?

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Demonic possession? I dunno.

I know you said you didn't have a magnet near it, but have you had any bass speakers or cabs in the vicinity? I had a 15" out of the cab a while ago - I set it on top of the entertainment center and it never even crossed my mind. I had it up there for about 15 minutes and then found a place to store it. About an hour later I was telling the wife that the TV tube was going out. Then the next day the TV was fine again. About a week later I figured out what had happened. :p

edited to add smilie - I notice several other gave similar thoughts while I was posting but I'm-a gonna let it ride...

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Some are, some aren't. It's definitely not a guaranty.

brad cook

7. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

correct.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Bustin - You probably know much more about that than I do.

My only guess then is - Maybe movies with the the very sad, insipid, Adam Sadler are on :D

9. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I don't have any speakers around it, I've gone over the whole area a couple of time to make sure I didn't miss anything haha. It's mostly the whole screen but moreso towards the top than the bottom.

Well nevermind I just turned the thing on and it was fine. That's strange though that it would just spontaneously weird out like that. Thanks for the help guys, I think it's about time to take this thing into the shop :meh:

10. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

:eek: :D

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The TV is probably bored with the shows you watch.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A lot of modern sets(and most VGA monitors) have a degausser built in. If you get a magentized place on the screen, turn the power off, then on, and it goes away. Presuming of course that you first removed the cause of the problem.

13. :ninja: pawn it and buy a new one before she gets home. :ninja:

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    What's wrong with your TV? the programming.

*ziing*

I'm here all week...actually, I'm not, I got some stuff to do, go away ya bother me™ :p

edit: I probably should have read the whole thread before that lame joke, oh, I'm going to go eat myself to sleep :bawl:

15. wat type of TV is it? maybe you need a new screen light

* :rolleyes: :D by the way... this is my 100th post!!!!! :D :rolleyes: *