Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's wrong with our recordings?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jul 17, 2001.

1. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Please tell us how you record first.
    It'll make things easier.

Your singer sings not loud enough in any case. It sounds more like he's singing to himself in the shower or something. The voice breaks all the time and is not consistent enough.

2. All the signals went into a yamaha mixer, then into a home entertainment (non-studi) style minidisk recorder.

My signal was lined out from the amp.

The guitar amp was miked.

I'm not sure what mic we used for the vocals.

We don't have a drummer.

Does that clarify it?

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What will probably help you is a compressor.
    Most of what we hear on records and radio/TV is dominated by this effect, and we're used to it.
    Compression gives more punch and density to an audio signal and enables the engineer to use the headroom of a recording system more effectively - the music appears to be louder.
    Try a rackmount compressor like a Alesis or dbx.

The clean guitar sound on My Shadow sounds quite good, but the distortion sound not too great, try to EQ it (amp and mixer), so that it gets more bass and treble.
    The bass could need some more mids, it is barely audible. More midrange will give it more definition, a little more volume wouldn't hurt too.
    You have to do a little trial and error to get it right.

Drums would help too, but you probably already know that.

I hope all this didn't sound too harsh (my comment on the vocals), but it's best to tell it like it is, or else it wouldn't help you. :)

4. Thanks for the tips jmx!

We have a rack-mount sound effects device that has compression. I'll try raising my mids. Also, the guitarist got a new distorstion box today.

Just out of curiostity what song do you like best?... (I know I screwed up on emptythreats)