1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's wrong with Squier Affinity brand

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bronsonelliott, Aug 14, 2012.

1. bronsonelliott

bronsonelliott

Apr 14, 2011
    I'm in the market for a second bass. I have an Ibanez GSR200 now but I'd like another bass to have in the arsenal.

Looking at a P bass or a J bass specifically at the Squier brand. I see there's a regular Squier brand and then a Squier Affinity brand. I've read some negative comments both here and other places about Squier Affinity being crap but no real explanation on why or what makes them that way. Looking for some honest feedback and no fanboy/hater comments.

I just want to be as informed as possible while I'm searching for my #2.

Thanks guys!!

2. Squire affinity is the lowest model. I have a Jazz affinity, it's okay. It's no upgrade from yours.

3. 5StringFool

5StringFool Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    Ime the Affinity series is much more prone to neck instability over time. When they're new they aren't bad, but imo you'd be better off waiting and getting something of higher quality.

4. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I have an Affinity P that I picked up for $75 because of some paint damage. I replaced the neck with a maple on maple JAzz neck cause I hate the tuners on the Affinity (They are CRAP!!) and are a nonstandard size for replacement. But the reason for buying it was for mods like the neck and I am adding a 51 pickup to it soon. I do like the thinner body because ir makes it a bit lighter. By the time I am finished with it it will be a good bass. Here is a mockup from Photoshop of what the end result will be. [​IMG]

Basically imagine this bass with a maple fingerboard, tort guard and a high mass bridge and you have what I am aiming for.

5. Bridge and hardware are all cheaper/smaller than standard size, electronics are all cheap, and body is thinner as well. Necks feel nice, though.

6. ChuckTrucks

ChuckTrucks

Jul 28, 2012
    They are the cheapest/lowest quality instrument you can get with Fender body and headstock styles.

7. Guess I should add that some Affinity versions/model years are nicer than others. Jazz 5er has sealed tuners, heavier hardware, etc. 6-string Tele's are pretty hot, period. I've got a highly modded 2004 Affinity Tele that I use for git gigs. Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

8. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    I think they're good starter basses and a relatively easy mod platform if you wish

9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I think that since you said that your bass now is a GSR200, maybe as a second bass you should try looking at what you have now.

What is it about the GSR200 that you really like? What would you change?

Then look at basses that have the features you'd like to have. Narrow that down to your budget. Don't go cheaper than what you have now. If you have to, save a little longer.

10. bronsonelliott

bronsonelliott

Apr 14, 2011
    Thanks for the info guys. Very helpful.

11. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    Why dont sell ur Ibanez and take the money from that and the money u plan on buying the Squier with and get 1 better bass?

12. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    These guys have all given you the straight story on them so I'll just add one more thing.

I just did a complete setup and restrung an Affinity PBass for the son of a friend. The neck was bowed so badly it was unplayable but luckily there was enough adjustment left in the truss rod to make it semi playable.

The rest had to be done with a shim job on the neck in order to get enough range of adjustment in the saddles to get the action half way decent. The pots were noisy and the tuners very imprecise and hard to turn. Even setup it sounded worse that it played when it first arrived.

It was fairly new but had never been setup before so I'm thinking this was pretty close to the way it was new. I did get it playable for him so that he could at least continue to learn on it but you couldn't get me to play one on a bet. It's probably the worst bass I've ever picked up.

I'm no guitar tech. Just a player of 30+ years and the difference between that Affinity and my CV defies description. You may be able to buy one for $100 or less and mod the hell out of it but for my money look for a used CV P or J Bass for around $250 and save yourself the aggravation. You'll own a better bass stock and than you could ever turn an Affinity into. JMHO

13. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Don't discount getting a bass from rondomusic if you're really into inexpensive but playable/gigable basses.

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

I have an Affinity Strat and it is ok. The basses are also just OK.

The basses have terrible tuners, the bridge isn't great and the pickups are not giggable IME.

Keep in mind the P bass is only $179 new.

Best selling bass in the world according to Fender.

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    In every shop I've seen affinities, I've seen used MIM Fenders for $50 bucks more. The affinity felt awful. Buying the low end model of a low end brand can't be a good idea.

16. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I think the average SX from Rondo is going to be somewhat cheaper and of better quality than a bass from the Squier Affinity series. That isn't to say you can't stumble upon an usually good one.

Basses from the Vintage Modified (VM) and Classic Vibe (CV) series are another kettle of fish entirely. Really nice basses for not much money.

17. nothing

18. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I can't speak for the newer models, but I have an older Affintiy P bass model that needs constant adjustment's. I bought it used for dirt cheap three years ago and if I'm not mistaken it's at least ten years old now. My other basses need very little (if any) tweaking, but the Squire is a differant story.

It sounds okay, but I never realized how weak the pickup was until I bought my MIJ P bass and compared. Quite the differance.

19. I found a P at a garage sale for $25. I cleaned it up, put some flats on it and it now it serves me well. When my grand kids come over they now have there own bass and leave my good ones alone.

All kiding aside, they are worth their low price for a starter or a bang around bass. You should not expect them to be more then that and they are not am improvement over what you already have.

20. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    'Wrong' is far too broad a brush to even make this question answerable. It depends on OP's initial sense of privelege, entitlement and ideas of what makes an instrument good. For example numerous meat-head beginner guitarists and bassists cannot put the strings on their instrument in any way correctly, then use it as an opportunity to whine about 'slipping tuners' because they are special snowflakes who cannot possibly be doing anything wrong themselves.

Props to OP for not spelling Squier as "Squire", which raises him above the animals a little bit.

If you think Affinity products are bad check out the Starcaster range...