Whats wrong with the Fender P deluxe??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odie, Jan 13, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ok I've seen these around for a few years and only played one briefly once. But I have seen these for sale a lot lately and have heard some mixed reviews. I guess on paper they sound good, but they just dont seem to be taking off in the market.

SO whats the word on these?? Opinions?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've played a few. My favorite Fender bass. I think the reason they are gettin' panned is that they are entirely active, and the classic P sound is passive. So it doesn't 100% sound like a traditional P bass. The powerbucker is extremely good sounding, and the electronics are nice and quiet. I have the slightest why no one wants them.

I'd buy one, but I'm after a G&L at the moment. But these are really cool basses.
  3. I think you're right about that :) I play one through an SVT3, and love it.
  4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
  5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Anyone else?:confused:
  6. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I have to say I really loved them and I've played through G&L's and and passive P's and I like that bass better than any other P I've picked up

One of my Fav Rock Tones

I think it's the humbucker:rolleyes:
  7. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I absolutely love mine:)
  8. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I agree, I absolutely LOVE mine. I'm weary of people saying it doesn't sound like a regular P. Of course not! It's got entirely different electronics and a smaller body. Why would or should it sound the same? I love the neck width at the nut (1.625" I think) which I find easier to play than 1.5". I don't have high end basses, but I have some nice ones: Reverend Rumblefish, Peavey Millennium 5 and a Peavey G-bass, and my opinion is that this bass rocks. I've tried plenty of Stingrays, they're very nice basses but I prefer the Fender. Price? I got mine brand new with the case (9 volt model) with the ash body option for $895 from The Bass Place, Arizona. I've owned a Fender P and a PJ previously as well and I like this one better.
  9. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I played one and loved it! The active electronics really didn't bother me, and it had close enough to a P-sound for me. I'd love to get one, but I don't have the money :(
  10. mooechili

Jan 2, 2003
    I just bought an American Deluxe P bass, have only had her a few weeks. Ash body with Maple neck and fretboard, Teal Green. I absolutely love it. I am somewhat a newbie to the bass, only really been playing the last few months. I have played guitar and drums for years, and now really enjoy playing the bass.
    I bought a cheap Samick a few years ago..played it some and put it down. I've only played these two basses so my comparison is certainly limited. The P is so much easier to play and the sound is tremendous. I play in a C&W band and it is exactly what I want to hear. I was pleased when the fill-in lead player, who also runs a recording studio, complimented me on the sound of my bass, said it was the best he's heard in quite awhile.
    BTW, maybe I can get some answers to the care of the Maple fretboard. I've searched posts for this topic but really came up with more questions than answers. As I understand, the Fender has laquer over the fretboard which as I understand should help with yellowing. But what is the best to use to clean/protect the fretboard (and neck)? I see more of what not to use on Maple and not enough of what to use. Any help would be appreciated!
  11. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I just got this from a pro player about 5 mins ago:

"My other gigging bass is a Precision Deluxe (3 band eq with humbucker at the bridge position - American made). James, If you haven't tried the Deluxe, run don't walk to your dealer; It's the best kept secret in FUNK, with DR strings on it we're talking straight up nasty man!!!!!"

...off to Ebay :)
  12. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    The Fender P-Deluxe with the gold pickguard is my favorite bass and its the one I'll be purchasing next.
  13. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    i love the sound but the neck is jsut too chunky for my, i think i'm spoiled on my geddy
  14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I had one. I liked the feel of it, and the fact it had a couple extra frets the regular P's dont have, but didnt care for the sound.

I guess Im just a passive P guy.
  15. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've played a couple of them on gigs before, and I DEFINATELY plan on getting one. I love the live tone on them. I think the trad passive sound is too good not to have as an option. An active/passive switch on it would be perfect.
  16. Rosewood also has resins in it that help prevent decay and wear but Maple must be protected with a coating of lacquer to prevent wear and decay by fungus attack.
    quote from here..maybe they can help

if the fretboard is protected just dont use anything abrasive or would tend to be chemically incompatible
    an inert cleaner like surgical spirit?
    on my ric which was varnished i used a slightly damp cloth and dried with a soft hanky...:)
  17. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I agreed with the italian post, in Europe that kind of babe cost a lot of $$$$$

About 2500 € ......
  18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If mine had one of those, I would have kept it.
  19. I've played around with them, and I just couldn't get the passive P tone, so I ended up not liking it.
  20. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I think Chi Cheng from the deftones had one for a long time before any of us saw one, but if I take a close look at his, it almost looks like a MM pickup.
    Strange :confused:

Edit: Watching the video, his also looks passive.