1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats wrong with the Lakland 44-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Makatak, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Ive had the opportunity to pick up a Lakland Skyline 44-02 Deluxe , it will be sight unseen except for photos , im a bit of a risk taker so that doesnt really worry me , my only concern is when I do a search for this Bass on this site all there seems to be are For Sale posts , is this the type of Bass that looks good on Papar but not really a keeper ? .

2. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    no you'll like it. Laklands are typically pretty darn nice.

Soundchaser11460 and fender68 like this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    They only thing wrong with them is that they are next to impossible to put down. Once you start playing, you don't want to stop!

Soundchaser11460 and fender68 like this.
  4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    That said, a very good bass with a QC hard for everybodyelse to just match. Serious.

Again: but what a pricetag, especially nowadays and with such market competitors out there!

Cheers,
    Wallace

fender68 likes this.
  5. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    I had a fretless Korean era one, (bartolinis). Sounded and played great.
    I just did not relax enough to stay with the fretless part.

6. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    You can find people selling a lot of every type of bass. Don't ever judge by that. There was once a thread on this very topic...but for Foderas. Give me a break.

Wandering Bass and fender68 like this.
  7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 44-02. One of the coolest basses around.

The only reason you don't see more 44-02's than 55-02's is that the 55-02 is a 44-02 with a B string and it's even MORE appealing.

fender68 likes this.
  8. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    I'm going on 4 years with my 44-01, and I still can't put it down! Laklands are awesome :bassist:

fender68 likes this.
  9. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2011
    They don't have 1.5 inch nut widths.

drdunwoody likes this.
  10. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    Nothing wrong with 44-02's... They can be a gateway drug, though.

People will sell them to pick up a 55-02, then it's like heroin - next thing you know, they're getting the shakes for a 4-94... And then they're calling John P, asking for their next fix - something custom-made because the street stuff just ain't hard enough...

That reminds me... I think I need another Lakland injection. :hyper:

fender68 likes this.
  11. They only go up for sale cos it makes u want the US version :p

12. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Good basses, but it completely depends on you. I have owned several and sold them all. I find them uninspiring.

CereBassum likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Our sax player has a 55-02 with Barts. I like it, but it's not the kind of qualities I look for in a bass sound. Plus that bridge has always been a sticking point for me. Nothing wrong with it...it's just that it's oval shaped. That said, I like their Fender copies quite well...but that bridge...can't get past it. Call me shallow...I don't care ;)

MrAtomic likes this.
  14. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    +1,
    just that I only had one, and quit thereafter... A 4401 with Barts mk1 BTW

Cheers,
    Wallace

15. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    The preamp is kind of polite.

16. I loved my 44-02D, but I needed a more vintage tone and bought my first MIA P with the proceeds after selling the Lakie. Their necks are to die for. One last point - I don't know where that guy is getting off on price, but a Lakie Skyline is certainly one of the great bargains out there, especially if you find one used.

fender68 likes this.
  17. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    They are deservedly very popular, with a large following. However, I am also in the former owners club.

I had a 55-02 with the USA pickups and preamp. I played it in "high rotation" with my others, tried a few different kinds of strings, tweaked the setup, and eventually sold it.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with it. It just wasn't me. It may be the perfect instrument for you.

I have a couple trombones I should part with for the same reason; they are great instruments, but I don't play them for this same reason.

18. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Very versatile IME and MUCH better than the 44-01.

I find them heavy and the neck is a bit big.

Great basses in any case.

19. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    I love them round bridges.

These are both USA versions, which are just luxurious basses. Joe Osborn (1.5" at the nut .77" 1st fret neck depth) and a Bob Glaub P with the Joe Osborn neck.

Plus, how can you not love Birdseye Maple dots on the East Indian Rosewood fretboard? These are light as a feather.

Your first Lakland could be a gateway into purchasing USA versions like these. Yes, they are worth 2-3x my MIA Fender versions.

Attached Files:

20. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    thats because they always seem to be making you think "God with all the Lakland hype there just should be more"

me too, although in my case i wouldnt say uninspiring just.....lacking. i've owned several and the stable just kept dwindling down, until finally i even dumped off the "one" i really liked best my trusty 5501.....i will own another someday thinkin maybe a 5502 guess i have to check out all the hype on this one too.........i dunno there nice, but in my case never quite "as nice" as others told me they were... my $0.02 FWIW.