1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's wrong with this pic?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hevy T, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I am kinda thinking buying this Blacktop Jazz, but look at the strings and how it goes over the pickup and the space from the edge of the neck to the E string.

What looks off to you. I am thinking that the bridge is off, however could it be the neck knocked out of alignment? Or something else!!

They want $350 for it at a local store, however I am on the fence about it because of this problem.

What do you think...

BTW... sorry for the bad pic

[​IMG]

2. what does the bridge look like? Are the string spacings adjustable? It just may be off on the saddle.

3. I like the reflection of you and the store behind you. Have you played it? If it plays well and you like the sound, point out the weirdness and lo-ball 'em.

4. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    How's it look at the nut? Looks like a misaligned bridge.

5. On the neck the outer strings do look a little biased to the treble side, as if the neck was tightened with it mis aligned.

6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I think I've seen this in another thread. IIRC, there is a chance this could be cleared up by loosening the neck bolts, aligning the neck better, and re-tightening. I'd tell the clerk you want them to try that. How does it play? Is it a real problem? $350 seems like an OK (not great) price for a used Blacktop. Maybe they'll come down in price if they can't fix it.

7. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Nov 25, 2009
    Anacortes Wa.
    Nothing, it's a pawn shop JBass

8. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    The bridge and the nut both look fine, also it does not have adjustable saddles, unfortunately. Maybe I should have checked the neck screws to see if they looked out.

I am thinking it was dropped and knocked the neck out, but the pocket seems tight on the sides, I am confused on this one.

I would love to bring it home to play with it, but I don't know if I want to spend $350 on it

I just looked at the pic a bit closer and do you think that is a shadow at the base of the neck or a gap?

9. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Nov 25, 2009
    Anacortes Wa.
    String alignment does look a little off. Having seen it many times, it makes little difference unless it's way off. BUT ... you could point out the flaw and offer them 300.00!!!
    I didn't care for the tone of that particular J Bass when I tried one out at the local retailer.

10. I think you'd be better off to pass on this particular bass. No sense buying someone else's headache.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Or you could point out that it's messed up, get them to drop the price, then take it home and realign the neck yourself.

12. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    Yep. Looks like the neck is shifted. Easy enough to fix.