What's Wrong with this Roscoe???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jan 20, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

i'm looking to buy a used Roscoe LG-3000. i love the bass and it was recently setup to perfection with DR Sunbeams.

The weird thing is, the truss rod seems to be installed funky. The neck is one piece purple heart spalted maple. placing the bass flat, the truss rod seems to be drilled a few degrees to the right rather than straight down the middle. also, the purple strip in the back is slightly off center as well and seems to follow the truss rod. but play and feel wise it feels fine and looking down the neck, its as straight as an arrow with perfectly crowned frets.

is this normal for this kind of neck? or is there something majorly wrong?? thanks.
  2. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    It would probably bug the heck outta me but I guess if there is nothing wrong with the feel and over all playability of it I guess I could just ignore it.
    I haven’t ever seen this before but I’m sure its not unheard of.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    any other tech's know wazup?
  4. This isn't an unusual condition and of all of the boutique basses I think you will probably find it most often on a Roscoe. Sorry :(

Roscoe floors me with some of their design and manufacturing processes. Their bodies look awkward, like a rank amateur didn't take enough time to truly think out the design. I've seen the spalted maple fretboards you describe - one side is light while the other is dark - terrible as far as the overall look IMO. And all of this for a price tag of around $2K??!!

As far as functionality, it shouldn't make a difference but for that kinda bread, I'd expect a little more attention to detail.
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Roscoe's are pretty well known for having construction problems. Supposedly, it's been mostly cured in the last or two...but I've still seen some bad applies with things like knots in the neck, natural holes in wood used on solid/gloss finishes, uneven bursts, bad neck pockets, and neck bolts installed at an angle. Kind of scary. Luckily, mine is great, and I've played many of them that are just killer. They're still in my top 5 of favorite basses that I'd realistically play, and I plan on getting a fretted some day...but I'm sure I'll play it before I buy it.
  6. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    I had a Roscoe that had problems as well. There was a missed spot in the finish on the neck (same defect was noted on the Roscoe in the BassPlayer mag 5-string shootout article) and the truss rod was defective. If the truss was tightened, the collar would bind on the threads, and it would lock up.

7. Concord

Aug 31, 2001
    I own a Roscoe LG-3500 and love it! I don’t care what anyone thinks, I believe he makes great guitars. Check out Harmony Central’s 2000 Axe Awards and you will find ROSCOE. I would suggest you call Mr. Roscoe directly and ask him yourself. I have spoken to him and found that he answers the phone and is very helpful. Their phone number is 336-274-8810 or you can contact them via e-mail @ info@roscoeguitars.com.
    GOOD LUCK!!!
  8. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    IMHO, Roscoe has the best b string I've ever heard, nothing else is even close. My Roscoe had The Tone. This has nothing to do with with the manufacturing issues, which are pretty much unjustifiable at the price point a Roscoe sells at.

In my particular case, I will say that Keith is a nice guy to deal with.