Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats wrong with this Zon?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marlat, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    What is wrong with this bass?

http://www.bassnw.com/New Exotic Basses/zon_sonus_custom_6_st.htm

It has been sitting at Bass Northwest for as long as I can remember and as far as I can tell, been through 2 big sales and no one seems to have taken it.

Has anyone played it? Is it a dud?

Living in Australia you don't see Zon's at all, buts its starting to look like you could get this one for below cost!

2. As far as I'm concerned...nobody has exactly $3895.00 laying around...

If I had that much, I'd be ordering a Sadowsky :D

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The point being that many basses have been moved by BassNW that have been a lot more expensive in the last 12 months, yet this Zon remains.

Also, I would assume that you could pick up this bass for not much more than $2k as its just taking up wall space now!

4. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I bet it has more to do with the fact it's a sixer than anything else. I think all of them have been sitting there for a while. To sell them, they need a guy who plays a sixer AND has $3K lying around. That's a pretty small market, and getting smaller. If the economy here keeps heading south, they'll be giving those things away.

5. I actually talked to guys there about this very issue. Firstly, the bass plays and sounds awesome. IMO, it's one of the nicest instruments they have right now. They've sold a number of other Zons, and it has just sat on the wall for over a year. Also, pricewise, Bass NW is always good. They typically sell instruments at ~70% list and their amps and stuff at MAP. They flat out told me they would sell this at their cost (half list) just to get it out the door. They may work a deal with Joe Zon, because "he kind of owes them one" to swap it out with him for another model becuase this bass just won't move.

-Chris

6. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    I don't agree so much...
    they sold this pre-owne Ken smith6 in few days!!! What a beauty...it was $2799

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Well, I almost bought that bass. I play ONLY sixers and a seven and I have the money. They made me a great offer. Trouble is, I've got 5 superb basses right now and just can't justify another high-end instrument. Ultimately, the lack of a midrange control was sorta the deciding factor for me. But I'm sure it's a great bass.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I will say it does have something to do with it being a 6er.

When I was buying my Elrick this summer, a man wanted to trade his Ken lawrence sixer in for it, but Bob at bass palace really didn't want to take the trade... Bob told me it was mainly because 6-string basses don't sell as fast as other basses..