1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's wrong with Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgovaerts, Jul 19, 2007.

1. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    Fellow bass players, what is wrong with Warwick?
    Because I'm in to more than 4 stringers, I'm selling, trying to, my warwick streamer stage II. I bought it new in 2004 for €2400 and now I get biddings of €250!?!

What's wrong with warwick? They can't be that bad?

2. drmckool

drmckool

Jun 15, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    people are just lowballing you

3. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Spectacularly Average Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    I agree.
    You're getting lowball offers from people who are hoping to grab a great bass for little money.
    Warwicks are awesome instruments!

4. There's nothing wrong with Warwicks. They're my favorite basses. Like most basses, they do suffer from depreciation. I've seen plenty of Stage II's on ebay here in the States go for $1500-$1800. I'm not sure how that converts to your currency. That's significantly less than the new price but still is a pretty hefty price for a used bass. The trouble with Stage II's here in America is that they're fairly rare. Most people haven't had a chance to try them to see how great they are! :)

Hang in there! Someone will come along who realizes quality and will be willing to pay for it. :)

5. Denial54

Denial54

Jan 26, 2007
    There is NOTHING wrong with warwicks

6. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The resale sucks on them as it does with Alembics, Spectors, Yamahas, Carvin's, Peavy, USA Laklands etc. Best advice with ANY bass is buy used because there is strong chance you will end up flipping it.

It seems only USA Fender, Ric & Gibsons hold their value (better)

You will have a hard time loosing money on a USED USA Lakland, Gibson, Ric, Early BC Rich.

7. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    The market is glutted with Warwicks. New or used, they are everywhere - so you may have to make a sacrifice on the price.

Good luck.

(Just me - I don't care for Warwicks)

8. +1

9. Yup, there're everywhere. It's extremely rare when you get to break even selling a bass, even more rare to make a profit. Usually ya take a decent loss. If you buy anything expensive, the depreciation is fairly hight and you take a bigger loss.

Usually the moral of the story is to get what you like and not sell it.

10. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    There is nothing wrong with Warwicks. However, I found that they have a very poor resale value. (Thumb 5 BO bought 2 yrs ago for $1700 and sold for $1150 less than 6 months later) Any bass is going to lose money on a resale but Warwicks just seem to lead the pack on poor resale value.

11. drmckool

drmckool

Jun 15, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    considering they are such good basses the re-sale value is mind boggling

12. The USA and Custom shop Peaveys share an even worse resale value. Great stuff, but the market has determined that they're not worth anything used.

Moral of the story...buy used.

13. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    As usual, they all want something for nothing.
    I play 5's. The only thing I would change would be to standardize the spacing at 18mm. They would then be my first choice in basses.

14. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Why are there so many used warwicks on the market? If they're that great as all of you are saying, there should be less used ones available and the prices would be higher.

I own a corvette std (my only bass btw) and I've seriously been thinking of buying a new bass (Fender J or similar) as I'm not really satisfied with the sound of it. I wouldn't trade in the Warwick, though.

15. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Maybe because in the back of the seller's mind, he knows they're available, for the most part as close as the nearest GC. I custom ordered one of my Warwicks that way.
    Some people complain about the necks. A jazz neck feels like drift wood to my hands after playing a FNA Jazzman 5 I had. My current MM's are a might "delicate" feeling also. I miss the solid feeling.

16. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Because most players aren't man enough to deal with the weight or neck dive isssues - I think Warwick's slogan should be: "Warwick: the sound of Real Men (TM)"

;)

17. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    *Gag's at the thought of the Double Buck's neck* :rollno: :ninja:

18. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    They really are fantastic basses and I have no idea why they're so undervalued on the used market. Like pedulla used to be.

Great times for buyers, pretty weak for sellers since they really are worth what they cost new IMO.

19. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    They're just not as universal of a trip as a P or J bass ... and Warwick has been making lots of them. They are a specialized tool ... not for everything, but really great at what they do.

20. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    My TB name speaks for my opinion on Warwick. I firmly believe that they are the best made, best playing, best sounding, best looking basses on the market. There is NOTHING wrong with Warwick. However, it has been said that the market is flooded with them. It's true. When supply far exceeds demand...well, you get the point. Anyway, I learned my lesson the hard way: Always buy Warwicks used. You will get them for a great price. Besides, Warwicks sell for far too much new. I love Warwick to death, but (as an example) a German-made Thumb NT cannot be worth $3000+...I mean, come on!