Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats wrong with......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CAM, Mar 14, 2003.

1. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    Cort Basses... Ive played one and it was fine, in fact it was pretty damn good. But yet when i went "shopping" for one I had the mickey severely taken out of me and profusely told that they are crap!!!

No reason was given as to why they are crap, just that they are!! And that one hasn't been sold in England for many, many years.

Could someone please tell me what's so bad about them (whether its the electrics, the neck, etc) cus i cant see it.

Cam

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Doesn't cort make a lot of the overseas made basses for big companies like the conklin GT line? My old BD-7 is a great bass and I think it was basically made by cort...

A lot of people have a lot of prejudices when it comes to basses, I mean I probably have some myself. The sure fire thing to do is to play them and just see if you like them and that is all that matters. :)

Maybe someone else can give you a better answer...

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Aren't Cort's called Tanglewood in Blighty???? I seem to remember this from somewhere, but I'm not sure of the source.

Also, I think Thomann sell Corts

www.thomann.de

Hope this helps!

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes I think you're right - Cort is not a name we get over here - but Tanglewood's are the "lowest-end" you can get - all the worst shops sell them, the ones that only have the very cheapest gear!!

5. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    hey man, u see what i mean, the worst shops, worst gear thing. What is ACTUALLY wrong with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just what i got from the shop owners, I dont care what they're called or who sells them, WHATS WRONG WITH THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

Cam

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Was I thinking of someone else when I made my first post? Who makes the overseas conklins? :confused:

7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I looked at a "tanglewood" this lunchtime, you would honestly be better asking what is actually "right" with them!
    They look like they have been put together by the local 4 year olds playgroup.
    Tone = Non Existant
    Action = Impossible
    Frets = Dull with ragged ends
    Neck fit = It doesn't - it wobbles
    Intonation = !
    Finish = O.K. from a distance (a very long distance)

Oh....... and some of the screws holding the tuners had been put in at crazy angles, and the jack socket had something very wrong with it - the plug kept falling out! ....and it wouldn't stay in tune ....

8. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    I must say that the Cort I played a year ago was nothing like that, although I regret i have know idea which kind of Cort it was (but it had Cort on the machine head). The one i played was so smooth, which was why i liked it, and it had a lovely metalic sound to it.

They must have gone really downhill ;)

Cam

9. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    The one I tried was a "Nevada" - a P bass copy,very cheap.
    Maybe the one you tried was higher up the range?

10. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    possibly, it cost around the 400 mark.

But ive never seen another Cort again, sigh!!

11. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    INcedentaly, whats everyones opinion Aria. Ive been seeing a lot of them in shops recently, not my taste though.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm with Paul on the Tanglewoods - but I think you have to take into account personal perference - to me, a "metallic sound" would be something I would be trying to avoid at all costs!!

PS - I do remember the Bass Centre did have some "Cort Curbow" basses in Wappping - but they looked pretty strange and a nasty material was used - but I thought of them as Curbows rather than Corts?

13. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    Does anyone know what Shavo from System of a down plays, cus his bass looks and sounds awesome.

14. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I've got an Aria semi acoustic g***ar that I use for messing around playing slide. No complaints at all, for the money (£160) it's great.
    Don't know abot the basses though....

15. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    You are correct, sir! Cort makes the Groove Tools, they used to come into GC in a big box that said CORT in big red letters. They also make the Curbow imports. Between Samick and Cort, almost every Asian-made instrument (Korea, Indonesia usually) comes from those 2 companies.

And they aren't necessarily bad instruments. They are more of a player's piece in the sense that they lose resale value quickly. But they are less expensive, so that's the give and take. Most people opt for a more known name in case of upgrade or resale, even though the bass was still most likely made by one of the 2 companies.

Personally, I have seen some well equipped basses (active EMGs, Barts, cool hardware), but didn't go for the style of them.

Shavo plays a Gibson Thunderbird.

Aria made a really sweet "copy" of an alembic, the SC1000 or something... neck thru, 2 pickups, 2 switches, 3 knobs... sweet! But the headstock was huge! I will get one eventually. They are a nice body that's primed for an upgrade in the EQ department.

16. They are made by Cort.

Geoff

17. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    Oh I want one, I want one. The Gibson Thunderbird is the ****. its all bass could ever be. How much do they go for? However much it is im gonna buy one, just like the one nikki sixx has!! please tell me the price quick, im drooling here!!!

18. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    About $1600 US new, but used is a great market for these.

19. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    slow down buddy. First off, in a thread where ask about Corts, no one is going to think you are NOW asking a question on the Gibson Thunder Bird. Do a search, there are I think, more than a couple of threads on this bass. They can go for around 1400-1700bucks(I think,for the nikki sixx model?), and if you were thinking about getting a cort, they might be sorely out of your league(As far as price). Some people, including me, think they are just a LITTLE over priced. Go to search and type in "Thunderbird". it should show alot of threads(Happy Rabid Granny? ;)). Also, it's not "All bass could be". Maybe to your fleeting infatuation, but it's REALLY not that great, IMHO. Shavo from SOAD got a good tone thats low, and cuts thru that guitar to, on the new record. So maybe they can't be ALL that bad.

20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I have liked every cort I have played. I thought that the Curbow was the cheapo version that Cort put out ?:confused: I do know that the curbows i played have been super nice, and SUPER CHEAP, for a 6 string.