whats wrong?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by metalgod502, Oct 21, 2003.

1. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    il. U.S.A.
    whenever i turn the volume up all the way on my bass it gets a distorted sound its not because its too loud because if you turn the amp down it still sounds the same.
  2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    What kind of bass are you using? What kind of amp?
    We need a little more info, so we can help you figure this out.

Is the bass active? Is it a stingray type pickup? A student of mine is using a bass with a pickup like that, and it can distort easily.

Any additional info you can provide would be great!

Tim :)
  3. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    il. U.S.A.
    ok its my warwick corvette with 2 p style pickups through right now a old pevey amp but it also did that with my acme low b4 cab and a gk head.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    All good stuff from Smash.

One point. If the signal is distorted coming out of your bass, it'll be distorted on your amp regardless of your amp volume. You're amplifying an already distorted sound, the aim is to get a non-distorted sound to the amp.

On active basses, boosting too much bass/mids can definitely cause distortion as the preamp circuit might not have enough headroom to handle all the tone you're trying to put out. Set your bass eq controls flat, and if you can get an undistorted sound at full volume then that's probably the problem. So if you're using the onboard eq, you may need to back off your master volume.

Also, the closer your pickups are to the strings the hotter the signal will be.

let us know how it goes
  5. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    It's possible your amp may have a little switch or button that will say something like -10(?) db, and that might help with a loud signal coming from your bass
  6. maybe the volume potenciometer is damaged..

Is your bass active??

The bass knob in one of my basses' eq is damaged and if I turn it all the way up it distorts the sound.
  7. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    il. U.S.A.
    ok it stopped. i dont know what i did but it stopped
  8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin