Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats wrong

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stingray, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Stingray

Stingray

May 12, 2000
    recentley my amp has been fading out on me when i play then it will pop come back on the it will go out until i let it sit for an hour. Ive checked the head and nothings mis and my bass works in a number of different amps ive tried changing cords three time. help me

sorry about title mispeeling didnt catch it till after i submited

2. it's a combo? if it is.. try plugging it into an extension cab. It could just be your speaker. If it's the amp and you still have your warranty, get it checked at a licensed place.

3. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Don't worry, I've changed it for you.

(You can tell I'm bored, can't you?)

4. such kind mods over here. :D Gotta love these guys!

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this could be a problem with your cooling fan - what kind of amp is this? i've experienced some amps failing like you describe when their cooling fans begin to give out - the amp goes into thermal shutdown because it's overheating and it shuts off instead of frying internal parts.

i have a trace that did that crap at a gig. bad amp - no donut. :mad: was a relatively easy thing to fix, and thankfully nothing was damaged from overheating, which was really good in retrospect, but it really buttered my biscuits when it happened.

6. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I would agree with Mr. Turner that it sounds like the amp is overheating. My amp doesn't have a cooling fan, it uses heat sinks. If yours is similar, make sure the sinks are properly ventilated.

Best of luck,
    Bones