Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's Wrong?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MetallicadetH, Aug 15, 2001.

1. You can see my favourite bands just by looking at my username. So, I was wondering why everybody hates new Metallica? I think it's awesome! I love every one of their albums. However, everybody seems to agree that they went downhill after Cliff died (rip)...I don't think this at all..Their new stuff is different, but great! So my question is: "Why does everyone hate new Metallica?" Answers would be greatly appreciated!

2. I personally don't actually hate Metallica, it's just that their music has been pounded into my head from radio all the time. I like a lot of their music.
    There was a time in my life that I couldn't stand The Stones either, because they were on the radio way too much for my taste, and I like a lot of their music too.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, I like Metallica when they played metal.

I don't like Alternica.

That's just they way it is.

So sue me.

4. I dunno, their new songs are kinda weak, although I'm not much of a fan of their older stuff either, but at least it had some "balls". :D

5. You'll hear from my attorney in the morning:D

6. I'll tell you why I don't like them. When they first started out they had a different style and sound and were what they were and played how they wanted to.
    Then when they start got big they sold out. And started following the crowd. (Just like another band I know that let fame go to their heads by the name of Pantera)

I have a friend that met them before they got big.
    James Hetfield told everyone "when we make it big, if I ever sell out track me down and shoot me."

7. I have never hated them, they just are not my cup of tea.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You can name me in that lawsuit too. I don't HATE them now, I just don't listen anymore.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, I never said that I hated them either.

I just don't like anything after And justice for all.

10. Excuse me?

When did this happen? Maybe because Pantera sold a few million copies of albums, they sold out, right? Regardless of zero MTV coverage? Or the fact that the albums have not gotten any softer as time goes on, and follow no trends in music, this does not count for anything?

:rolleyes:

11. I really don't think Metallica sold out, they just have been trying to do something different after releasing 4 metal albums. I don't know a single band that has been around as long as Metallica that still sounds exactly the same as when they first started. Although I think albums like Pastor of Muppets are great, I also think Metallica would be boring if their new albums still sounded like that. Also, IMO they aren't Alternica, they may not be metal but they are still quite heavy.

12. Slayer.

13. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Actually I would say Slayer has changed their music to some extent i.e. use of drop-d tuning.

As far as Metallica is concerned I like what they did with their Black Album, but I do think they went downhill after that.

14. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    now their nothing but a loud pop band

15. Hey quit baggin on Metallica. They are the influence for just about every newer rock band out there. We should be thanking Metallica regardless of their new different sound. People forget that Metallica's music is THEIR MUSIC. Not your music. They are allowed to play,say,do whatever they want because that is the creative path that they are taking. And about the selling out thing, i PROMISE you that if any of you make it big, you will sell out, hell i probably would do some lame pepsi commercial or something too if I ever made it big. Anyways the point Im trying to make is that people bag on Metallica more than they thank them for being one of the most influential bands of the past 20 or so years.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Quite honestly I have no opinions as I just don't listen to anything like this.

BUT - this discussion just struck me as very strange - it's like people want to have an argument and get all upset - even if nobody disagrees with them. So like I read all the replies and people just say they don't like them now and then you get people coming along saying things like "quite baggin on.."

If people don't like them you can't force them to and it just seems ridiculous. I mean - I can remember being 14 or 15 and being passionate about bands like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc. But I didn't expect everybody else to like them - in fact the very reason a lot of people I knew liked these bands was exactly because their parents really hated this kind of music.

Mettalica, Slayer, Pantera etc are completely irrelevant to me and I suspect many of the TB regulars who I have talked to - so why not just leave it at that - why do we always have to have these threads about "why do you hate...."?

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I never hated them. Never liked them either.

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Mercyful Fate
    Manowar
    Overkill

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yes, they are now officially heavy plastic.

20. Biski2Dope

Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    "Why does everyone hate new Metallica?"

Does it truly matter? If you like them, then keep listening! If someone disagrees, well, fubar to them. It's all about personal taste and individuality.

Then again, i personally don't like Metallica period, and that's because they just don't play the type of music i'm into. Simple as that.