What's wrong?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ethon, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Hi...While at practice the other day, I was playing my friend's Ibanez SR300DX through my brand new Hartke 3500/used Avatar 210 at a low (somewhat low -- 2 1/2) volume, and after about an hour of perfect sound, it started to fail...Making a terrible farting noise on every note, but then would come back in in like 2 minutes, but fail shortly after yet again...

After practice I took it home and played it though my Fender P-Bass, and it sounded perfectly fine after about 45 minutes of playing time...

Is something wrong with my amp/head setup? Or is it more then likely his bass?
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    There may be a battery in that bass. Did you check it?
  3. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Im pretty sure it's passive, It doesnt have a battery carrige anywhere on the outside...Next time we practice over there I'll open up the electronics backplate tho and check...
  4. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    The next time you practice, carry a 9v battery with you. The battery IS inside the backplate.

I have a SR305DX, as they should be the same.;)
  5. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    So thats what's causing that sound? Did I hurt anything when it did that/running it through the passive input?
  6. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    It should not have hurt anything. Just install a new battery and everything should sound fine.

Remember that the battery is connected to the preamp and draining anytime the cord is plugged into the bass. Always disconnect the cable from the bass when you are not playing it.

7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    More than likely its the battery.

Are you playing with the compressor on? If so, whats its setting? I know that on some of the Hartke heads that if you set the compressor past a certain point, it will fart out on you. At least thats been my experience and a few friends experiences with them.
  8. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    I play with it on 3