Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats yer 4X4 of choice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Mine is the 1986 Toyota 4x4 truck I have at my disposal.

It doesn't have automatic 4-wheel drive... You gotta go out side, turn the things on your front hubs, then it is ready to go when you put it in gear.

I didn't know this, so I was just putting it into 4-wheel, and climbing stuff... Made it with relatively little issue, maybe 4500RPM's to get up a muddy 50 foot bank (fairly steep)

When It was pointed out to me that those things had to be turned, I went back out, and was climbing those same hills at about 2200 rpms.

Its a tank. I love it.

2. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    If I had the money I would go for a Toyota FJ45W ... too bad a nice one is very rare and can cost about as much as a new Land Cruiser. Actually, since I'll probably never have that kind of money again may as well go the whole way and put in a request for this one: http://www.rodmillen.com/Lcruiser.htm

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Verily, I would trade my new 2005 Land Cruiser (less than 2,000 miles) for that custom FJ45W.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Those are nice trucks Mike, good choice.

For me........it's a 1990 Ford F-250 king cab.

I'll keep this one I have until I die. I've owned it since 1996, and the only thing I have had to replace to date is the water pump. 188,000 miles and counting.

-Mike

5. Subaru Forrester.

My drummer's ride of choice.

I've often contemplated buying him one of those "My other ride is a Ziljian", but old men don't put stickers on their cars...

6. 85 Ford Bronco 4x4, course my baby is a little worn and needs a new head and block, but thats where this years tax return is headed. :)

7. Currently: 2000 Nissan Xterra & 2003 GMC Envoy XL(wife)

Hopefully in the near future: 2005 Nissan Titan LE (crew cab)

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Actually, Nick, a 4x4 doesn't automatically mean it's bad for the environment. Some are actually no worse than cars.
    I digress....
    If I had a choice, I'd just go out, find an old Chevy with a 454 in it, and turn it into an off-roading king :p. Buuuuuuut that wont happen. Before then is a line of Camaro's, Firebird's and Corvettes

Ray

9. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!

Rubbish!
    My Frontera (Isuzu Rodeo in the states) runs on LPG and puts
    out less pollutants than a BMW Mini!

:mad:

10. OK, but the vast majority of 4x4s are very bad for the environment.

11. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!

In what sense???
    Most of this "propaganda" is put about by people that can't afford a 4x4.
    Most 4x4's have a footprint the SAME or smaller size than the average saloon car, just a bit taller!
    Most run the same engines as saloons made by the same manufacturer and put out EXACTLY the same emissions.
    So exactly HOW are they worse for the environment??

:confused:

12. I like pressure treated 4x4, with a Thompson waterseal coat or two...very rugged.
    (sorry, it had to be said, and I'm just the dork to say it...)

Seriously, I like my Cherokee...

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Kawasaki Prairie 300

[​IMG]

brad cook

14. +1

Mine......... '85 Ford Bronco , white, 300cid 6 banger, 4sp od stick, 78k miles :hyper:

...............Jim

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    McHack might laugh at me (I'll still flip off the semi truck though), but I went and bought a Cherokee. 98 Sport. 3" lift on the way, just have to decide on RE or Skyjacker.

Nick, you can use these things in responsible fashion. In an ill fated thread I posted in the lobby a while ago people brought up some very valid points. When I researched a little, it was clear that it's the person and not the truck that causes the problem.

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I haven't ridden a quad since I was 15. Very fun.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It is fun but it became almost strictly utility for me after the first few months. It will go anywhere, even when it's been raining for a week and the clay/mud combo on our land is pure pudding. One weekend my cousin and his friend got a 4x4 truck stuck out there, then they got a large enclosed-cab tractor stuck halfway up those giant wheels trying to pull the truck out, then they got a tracked bulldozer stuck trying to pull the truck out. The 4-wheelers were driving around with no problems the whole time.

I might drive it more as fun if I had a racing-x style machine. I wanna get a dirt bike for fun and roaming though.

brad cook

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    We lived near high tension lines (no comments :p ), and there were always kids with bikes, trikes and quads. I always liked the quads and bikes, hated the trikes.

19. That's not true. If they use the same engines as saloons, the sheer weight, aero dynamics of the 4x4's body and the extra mechanics of it will mean it has poor fuel economy. If it has a bigger engine it will pollute more and need more fuel. Either way, they are environmentaly unfriendly.

20. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Nick, how many trees are cut down to build basses every year?

How many more emissions to the metal plants put out to melt down the alloy to mold into the speakers?

What about all the plastic PC parts?

Strings!

Pedals!

Everything hurts the environment... And the environment will recover.

You aren't righteous, go make your own thread on the environment instead of ruining mine, which until you showed up, was a great thread about 4x4's and ATV's.