1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats you favorite Bass pickup???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by garretibanez, Apr 8, 2009.

1. split coil

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. split coils

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. single coil

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. single coils

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. soapbar

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. soapbars

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  7. humbucker

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. humbuckers

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

I would truly like to know whats your favorite pickup and why?

I choose soapbars because there very versitile.

sorry I will do another post with piezos I did not want to make the poll that long.

2. Lane poor.Please Lane,start making them again!
    The stock pups in my '75 J-Bass.

3. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    My Faves are:

P neck & Jazz bridge

or

Jazz neck & Music Man bridge

I also really like a series/parallel switching with the P/J setup

4. Your poll doesn't make any sense to me.
    You just put an option, then its pluralized form.

In any case, i prefer one single coil pickup in the bridge position of a fretless Jazz bass.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Also, soapbar is a shape. Inside can be anything, and most often split coil or a humbucker.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep. Shape does not = sound.

Plus, my most favorite pickup and my least favorite pickup are/were both hum-canceling Jazz pups.

Plus, the position of a pup on the body can make just as much difference to the tone as the "type" of pup. Maybe even more difference in some cases.

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Voted split, but a split with a humbucker/soap right behind it would be ideal.

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's a hard pickup style to do new things with. It's very narrow, just not a lot of room in there. I just squeezed a regular humbucker into a Jazz case. Then it took a bit more work to get the tone I wanted.

Exactly! Move a P pickup up near the bridge, and it no longer sounds like a P, but it doesn't sound like anything else either.

I like mixing pickups for different locations, and soapbar cases are great for that. Keeps the look uniform.

9. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    +1

10. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

then you should have voted single coil my origanal idea was to post every postion magnet and combination but your talking 3 different magnets 3 pickup positions 7 different pickups. So i figured that this would be the easiest(It is for me atleast)

11. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

When I think of soapbar I think of two single doils close together try to look at this from a non technical point of view.

12. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

The pole is what is your favorite pickup not pickup position. There is not enough polls to do every single pickup location and magnet and type of pickup weather or not it has series parrallel

13. I'm torn between soapbars and single coils. I picked soapbars but I like my EMG 40J's which is a single coil in a soapbar shape.

14. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    I have two basses, an Ibanez SR 500, and a SR 700. Both have Bartolini MK 1 humbucking soapbars.

15. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The funny thing is - "Soapbar" pickups are just a form factor, not indicative of the circuit - so there are single coil 'soapbar' p'ups (Nordstrand Big Singles leap to mind) - but most are humbucking, so far as I know.

I've had 4 basses with soapbars, and they all sound 'thicker' than my single coil J p'ups - but it also could be that 3 of the 4 were Barts, which are known to have a thicker sound, for the most part...

I have one bass with single coil p'ups - Nordstrand NJ5s - nice sounding, big 'bark', if you will - but not quite as warm as I usually like...

16. Yeah, I used to have some Bartolini xxM45c's in one of my basses and they were quad coil pickups. They were very thick sounding and had PLENTY of output. I loved those pickups but they went when my bass went.

17. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I don't get what you mean. There are many shapes of pickups, but that has nothing to do, necessarily, with hat type of pickup they are. It's not a technical issue. It's kind of like saying do you prefer gasoline engines, diesel engines, hybrid engines or sedans. ;)

Anyway, I usually get the tone I want from single coils, so that's what I picked. :)

18. Irtemed

Irtemed

Apr 6, 2009
    I like a jazz single coil at the neck and a MusicMan humbucker at the bridge

19. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    P-Bass Humbucker + J-bass Bridge Pickups + Series/Parallel Switch = Win.

20. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sorry, you're dealing with a very technical subject. With pickups, opinions that are formed without any technical understanding are hardly worth the pixels they're printed on.