1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's you favorite combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Apr 25, 2006.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I started looking for a new smaller/portable rig so combos is the way to go here.

What's your favorite one and why?

Info would be apreciated on the following (these are the one's I'm intrested in).

Mesa Walkabout 15
    Epifani UL115 Combo
    EA 500c

Thanks!

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have the EA 500C and I love it. I have a second wizzy that I use as an extension cab. The 500C has a very warm tone that I like.

The 500C is *very* flexible. It is a wizzy cab with a space on top to bolt in the iAMP 500. The wizzy then connects to the iAMP with a speakon. You can remove the iAMP if you need to or you can use the wizzy with another head (adapter required).

3. SWR workingman's 10 or 12. I like the ten because of how light and portable it is, and for a slightly larger size the 12 sounds great. For the money you can't beat these. I just picked up a new WM10 for $200 from musiciansfriend.com

4. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Both of my current amps are combos and both SWR. I have a Redhead and it can cover just about anything especially if you add an external cab. But it's not light, won't fit in trunk of my car so has to go in the back seat.

I picked up an SWR Workingman 12" and its a great little combo. Small but a big punchy sound. In fact using this amp has me wanting to go back to using 12" speakers.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I used to love those SWR Bassic Black amps, and even though I haven't seen one in person for many years, I still remember them fondly.

SWR Redheads were also cool.

Acoustic Image combos are nifty wee buggers.

I really really REALLY want a Markbass Micromark, and will likely buy one as soon as they are for sale in the US.

6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    For a small combo - SWR Baby Blue II. Great sound, pretty portable, and loud enough for what I do when I need a combo. Some gigs you just want to make only one trip!

I prefer to use my "stack" though, Glock HeartCore and 2 Aggie GS112's.

Dan K.

7. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Rolland DB-500 160 watts 1-12" speaker
    Rolland Bass Cube 100 100 watts 1-12" speaker

Both combos sound excellent the DB-500 has 3 modes
    1 soild state
    2 Tube
    3 tube drive (overdrive)
    Also a switch to make the 12" speaker sound like a 15"
    The cube 100 had more amp models 360 And others I can't remember but the bottom line is they sound very good for the money. Check them out.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Ampeg B100R (please note my sig line). AS close to the fabled B15N sound as you can get...
    SWR Baby Blue II-awesome!

If I need more than either, I just bring a TFB420 and Schroeder 1210.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    beer and chips ? Sorry, not the combo you were looking for ...

Actually I have no favorite combo bass amp. The combo's I've heard were all compromised tonally. I'm blown away by Passinwind's EA 1x12 cab though so if I were in the market I'd probably start there.

I very much prefer a separates approach though...

10. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    my combo experience:

SWR WM15, 1st gen.: loud, clean, light. not the most tonal character, though, but very tight for a 15". a workshorse, not a lovechild. sold.

SWR WM10:
    very nice midrange, good low end for a 1x10". the preamp is crap. i bypass it whenever i can. it adds noise and stelas definition. the deep cab detracts from portability. nice for DB. louder than sometimes posted here. i can't see that volume was inferior to the GK below.

GK MB150: the final word in terms of handling and portabilty. great for DB indeed and workable for BG. it never blows me away but it never sucks, too. sounds GK-ish, which i happen to like.

other amps i played through: a laney 4x10, clean and loud as hell, an old polytone 15" (whats so great about that amp?).

not to mention tons of combos i demoed in shops.

warwick combos are heavily voiced towars a smooth, tube-like sound. reminds me of hughes&kettner voicing years ago. the neo combos are loud as hell.

SWR: i was super disapppointed with the baby baby blue. i find it a waste of money. the WM 10 isn't a whole lot worse for far less $$.

Roland: the CUBE 30/100 are loud indeed. in fact the 100 is louder that anyone would expect from such a small device. it gives you a ton of sounds but the orinial sound of your instrument seems not to be reproduced too well. in terms of portablity: a tad superior to the WM 10, but it still sucks compared to the GK. if you need to get to gigs and rehearsals by bike, public transport or whatever, the GK is still unrivalled.

so: yes, the GK MB150E is the amp i'd vote for. for the money however, the WM10 is great, too. i happen to run these together once in while, too.

imho cobos are useless above the size of these two. if you want more output i'd rather go for seperate cab and head.

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    My current favorite is the Genz Benz NEOX 400-112T. I chose it over the Walkabout and the Eden.

12. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Lotsa SWR, intresting...

13. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I'm no longer the biggest SWR fan in the land, but I did play their stuff for a few years. Their combos are definitely great, even the cheap ones like the LA12 I used to own sounded a lot better than other more expensive combos.

14. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Mine ! Nemesis NC 210... light, powerful enough, excellent quality sound, fits just fine in the trunk of my car...

15. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    SWR Super Redhead ... the Swiss Army Knife of amps, runs at 2ohms, so you can run that 1x15 4ohm extention speaker, nice user friendly layout, and that extra rack space for your BBE maximizer ... plus a hard front cover to boot . I may switch to Eminece Neo speakers later to make it lighter ...

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Eden Metro...

17. Flipper

Flipper sale: Sadowsky NYC PJ5

Jan 11, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    +1 on the SWR BBII 2x8, 1x5. Got mine about a month ago and can't believe the bottom even with a low B. Gets a little warm. I've got a CX110 Eden cab on the way to go under it. I'll let y'all know how that works out. BTW my first rehearsal with the BB, half way throught the 1st tune the drummer told me I'd have to turn down. So I'd say its perfectly adequate for a moderate rehearsal volume.

The rest of my gear is Genz Benz, so I'd +1 on the NEOX 400 112T.

18. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    The one that comes closest to satisfying all my requirements at the moment is the Nemesis NC-410.

19. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I am loving my SWR Redhead I replaced the tube in the pre amp to a Tug Sol and picked up a Son of Bertha and could not be happier I paid 715 for Amp used and 329 new for the SOB

20. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    Kansas
    Carvin BXR212.......
    Plenty of power, 500 watts with the combo speakers, 800 with a 4 ohm extention cabinet

Great sounding pre-amp, can be as clean or dirty (saturated) as you want

Light and easy to transport, kick-back wheels and pull up handle, 69 lbs..... easiest to move and lightest combo I've ever owned that would keep up at stage levels