Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your "around-town" bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Jan 25, 2001.

1. OK, here's the deal. I have gotten myself into a situation where I own 3 high-end basses, but no decent, pro-level basses. So I don't have a bass, for example, to bring to a Monday night blues jam in a dingy local bar without worrying over-much about the instrument's safety. I'm considering buying such a bass.

What do others out there use in such situations?

OR do you just bring out your 6-string F bass Alain Caron model and a bodyguard?

Regards,
    Jordan

2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Must be a tough neighborhood! My basses are also all high end except for a travel bass and a mid-level bass. I would take my Pedulla Rapture 5 (with the travel bass as a backup). I highly recommend them unless you have a heavy hand on the B string. One is for sale for $795 OB0 (Harmony Central or BassGear.com)

3. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Err um… How bout a 70's P-bass? Last year's Hot Rodded Fender P works for me.

jc

4. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Looking at J's profile, he might favor more than 4 strings.

5. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I always bring my status...my Ibanez sounds nice, but it's not to be trusted.

6. zeta

zeta

Jun 16, 2000
    I have a Fender Hot Rod Precision and a DeArmond Starfire to take the abuse

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I usually take my Zon 4. Virtually no one knows what it is, so there's no problem.

I'll be switching to a Warmoth 5-string Jazz bass copy with Bartolini JJs and a TBT circuit as soon as I get it. It's a plain black bass that was Scott Henderson's kick around instrument in his home studio. (pictures later)

Will C.:cool:

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Put it in perspective: I play upright bass so my axe (nothing special) is worth $2500 and I drag it out to some real dives. My alternative is to not play :eek:

But if you really need a beater, any used MIA Fender is a safe bet, especially since they make good blues axes. I'd look for one that's cosmetically challenged and has reasonable mods (like a Badass or third party pickup) as that'll just make it cheaper to buy.

9. My answer to everything -- Mexican Fender Jazz.

One of the main reasons I love mine is because there is no worries about something happening to a $400 bass, and that's $400 after upgraded pickups and bridge.

What you lose in ultra-fine, diamond-studded, dairy-product, 4-digit playability, you gain in peace of mind. And it will probably make you appreciate your "good stuff" even more. Plus they really are fun basses.

Chris

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If you really needed something cheap, A Squier P-bass would be a very worthy axe. At $150 or so, it's a great value.

Will C.:cool:

11. Jordan, you could do a lot worse for a "jobber" bass than one of the Czech-made Deans. They're nice, but not too nice, so you wouldn't cry that much if it were stolen. Your profile says you have a Thumb 5, so I'm sure you could get used to the narrow string spacing.

BTW, how's that SVT-III working out? Have you had any problems with it?

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wherever i gig or go to open mics,i use my custom conklins - that's why i got them.

although i have been considering getting a bill dickens signature groove tools conklin for a sort of "knock around" bass.

13. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    I take my Lakland deluxe 5. I took my MM Stingray 5 to a rainy/cold gig last year to protect the Lakland. The gig really sucked because I didn't have "my" sound and the Stingray plays like a slug compared to the Lakland. So as JT said, I bought my Lakland to play it, not let it sit at home. It gets played now for everything.

14. darthspada

darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Like I always seem to say... look for a used bass. Fender J and P basses are well made and reliable instruments, and very affordable used. Washburn, Yahama, Peavy... all made some very nice basses that I've seen in the used sections of just about every guitar shop I've ever been to. If you want new, Danelectro's basses have a decent tone and are quite playable as well as affordable. Check your local newspaper's classified ads, too. You never know, a local kid may have talked mommy and daddy into buying him/her a really nice bass that he/she played twice. Now the kid wants a snowboard, but mommy and daddy won't buy it, so he/she is selling off the bass to get cash for the snowboard. Hey, it happens!

15. :eek:

Hey! You wanna go? :mad: ;)

:D :D :D

I agree with these guys. Take your bass, that's what it's for. Just don't let it out of your sight (I normally don't even let it out of my HANDS) and you'll be fine. :)

BTW, you're in Bethlehem, PA? Did you go to Nearfest in 99 at Moravian College? I was in the band that half the audience walked out on! :D

[Edited by Stingray5 on 01-25-2001 at 04:37 PM]

16. Don't let your fear of the world keep you from living, take a bass that you realy want to play. I don't have any realy expensive instruments but I played and fell in love with each of them. While there is some worry about taking them into bad situations I have toured with only one bass and one amp and never had one stolen.

17. Or, stay away from bad situations. My Tobias 6 goes to all my non-upright gigs.

18. Peavey's are built like tanks, play and sound decently, don't cost much (especially used), and probably aren't very likely targets for a thief. I got a Peavey Fury used for $150.. and I think it'd be the ideal knockaround bass, as well as a good backup.. I just have to work on getting a high end 4 string. :)

19. That said I think a Mexi Fender or a Dean would be great too.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My Pedulla and my Fender go with me everywhere.

I'm sure that my Zon will too, when I get it.

What's the point of finding the perfect bass(es) if you don't play it(them)?