What's your band type?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by int, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Unanimous Democracy

9 vote(s)
  2. Majority Democracy

6 vote(s)
  3. He/She/Me Rules!

1 vote(s)
  4. Somewhere In-Between

5 vote(s)
  1. What kind of society is your band? Fully Democratic (everyone talks about what is going on. All decisions are completely unanimous). Somehat democratic (majority rules)? Or does one person control everything? Of course, I suspect most of us are somewhere in-between, so I could use some details.

We're generally a majority rules type. Although if someone is adamant about a decision we'll go with him, unless there is an arguement, which we'll sort out. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it is complex. But it works best with the personalities involved.

Anyways, I think you see the point, so vote.

BTW, this is research for an article I'm working on, so your honest assessment is appreciated.

2. The band I'm in now always make me make the decisions for the entire band. I never really asked to be the band's "leader" but I'm not complaining one bit. I actually kind of like it that way. But often we do have votes on things. Call it a Democratic (the correct word may be Constitutional) Monarchy, i suppose.
  3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    The band I'm in now is made up of former members of dictatorships. Everytime someone suggests something they end it with, "but that's just my opinion, I'm not forcing it on you..." In a way it's cool, that we all have to agree on decisions, but sometimes it's a pain in the butt. It usually takes a couple of hours of discussion to get anything done. No one wants to take the lead and say "this is what we should do........". But no one's toes get stepped on.

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  4. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    We all talk about it, and [usually]end up with a resolution that is unanimous.
  5. My band all three of us.. heehee sit down and discuss it. When we are all happy... then we decide. Sure we might niggle at each a bit but it all works out so everyone is happy. Sometimes it is majority rules, but not usually.

6. we haven't had any major disagreements yet. we wouldn't do something if one of us was set against it.
  7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    we all agree on everything

8. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I think my singer is afraid of the band becoming a dictatorship. He's always asking me and the drummer what we think of something. It's nice, but after a month and a half it would be nice if we could decide on a name. :rolleyes: I guess the main problem is that I'm the only member who doesn't go to their school. My guitarist (the youngest member of the band) isn't really the most reliable person in the world either. His parents also have a "habit" of springing up random things for him to do on the weekends when we've made plans to practice earlier in the week. :mad:

Sorry about the rant, I just needed to get somethings off of my chest.

Back on topic.
  9. A democratic formation that sometimes (read OFTEN) allows one member to be in charge of everything. Unfortunately the last member in charge decided for us to disband. :(

BTW, Int... you should really check your PM's every now and again. :confused:

10. Hey look at that...I have messages.

OK, I changed it so I get an email when that happens....

Thaks guys. Keep 'em coming. :)
  11. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Mostly unanimous, but i have become somewhat of a lobbyist :eek:

But I do take the time to present the pros and cons of any decision, and then tell them why I chose a particular side.

I have also found that some of my bandmates either don't care, or don't know how to verbalize what they are feeling. I guess that is why I feel it helps everyone to state both sides of any argument before making a decision. But ultimately, no decision is made without everyone feelink decent about it.
  12. I think most great bands are based on some sort of dictatorship. Wether that be one or two persons in charge. When you have have too many people steering the ship you tend to get off course. I'm talking mainly about musical decisons, but it does tend to spil over into other areas.