Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's Your Bass IQ

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mike Dimin, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Okay, Here are some pics from the NAMM show. Guess who all the bassists are and win a cool prize. If you don't know some of these guys - you should. If you know them all - you are the bass IQ Master

BASS IQ TEST

Mike Dimin

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    mine is pretty low. I think i recognized 3 people total and of those 3 i know for sure i've only ever heard 1 play. c'est la vie...

3. Same here. I guess I'm pretty bass stoopid. And now that I know I don't know most of those bass players, I'm really eager to find out who they are.

4. Amazing! I don't think I recognised any of them! Oh, well - I suppose I should get out more, or get a TV or something...

:rolleyes:

- Wil

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, I didn't do too poorly--I recognize 1, both of 2, 3, 4, 6, two of the three in 8, both in 10, and 12.

And, since I've already got your cd, book, and 2 pairs of earplugs, I'll let someone else figure it out. :D

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'll take a stab at it.

1. Matt Garrison
    2. ??
    3. David Dyson
    4. Lee Sklar
    5. ?? Is that the guy who plays the Vulture Bass?
    6. Brian Bromberg
    7. ??
    8. (sorry, meant to say Steve Lawson. He does kinda look like Geddy), Michael Manring
    9. ??
    10. ??
    11. ??
    12. ??

The rest looked familiar and I know I know their names but I'm at a loss right now.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You guys got it all wrong. Here are the answers:

1. Lenny Kravitz's straight-laced cousin, Ernie Kravitz.
    2. Richard Branson and the driver of the taxi that he called for
    3. Mike and Cuba Gooding Jr.
    4. Mike and one of the guys from ZZ Top
    5. Mike and a cardboard cutout of the late James Coburn
    6. Azola mascot Narky, The Narcoleptic Bass Player
    7. Judging by the look on Mike's face I'd say "crazed stalker."
    8. (left) the actor who played Phoebe's brother on friends, (middle) some limey, (right) some other limey
    9. Tommy Lee, yo
    10. WWF wrestler Stone Cold Steve Austin and manager Jimmy "The Mouth of the South" Hart
    11. William "The Refrigerator" Perry
    12. Bonnie Raitt

There ya have it. Why I just spent 10 minutes doing that remains to be seen.

brad cook

ps - hope those above that are members of this board are all good sports! :)

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't see how recognizing bassist has anything to do with our bass IQ :rolleyes:

P.S. I did really bad! ZERO!

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    But I do know that the guys in numbers 4 and 3 are awesome!

10. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I don't understand people who, after the age of 15 years, have the urge to be photographed with anyone who is famous. And some of them even put the pics on the web and post the link to a place like TB...

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Steve Lawson will love that when he finds out!! :D

12. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Considering the subject matter of this thread and the person who started it, I find a certain amount of irony in this post.

BTW I recognised two players and a furry cardigan.

13. Bruce Lindfield

I've seen that furry cardigan before as well!! ;)

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    It has to do with the same reason that people who are ignorant have a need to put down others in a way to make them feel good about their own inadequacies.

Besides that. This is fun. The guy in #4 said if you don't know the guy in #5 - you got some schooling to do. Many of these guys defined the role of the bass today. Some of these guys are classics. Having a TV, I'm sorry to say won't help.

The furry cardigan is a dead giveaway, too bad you can't get him to take it off :D

Mike

15. Bruce Lindfield

Mike - what's that Zebra-body bass that appears with two players towards the bottom - it looks very much like the shape of my Tobias Classic, but is obviously more modern? Is it an MTD - can't see the headstock.

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Bruce,
    It is a smaller bodied bass with a 34" scale that Mike made for the women in #12. She is on the pettite side and needed a smaller 5 string.

The guy, with the cool glasses, playing it is also rather short and was giving it a whirl to see if he liked it

Mike

17. Bruce Lindfield

Hmmm - thanks - that's the only trouble with photos - no sense of scale!! ;) The neck looked very nice though!

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I only recongized 3. And that's only cuz they're the TB Pros - Dimin, Lawson & Manring.

BTW, Steve - have you ever watched The League Of Gentlemen on BBC2? :D

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Is #9 the Freakbass guy?
    ...I just stumbled onto that thread a couple daze ago. The glasses give it away.

20. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I recognised a number of them (I should do - I've met three of them in person) but nowhere near all of them... how long do we have to wait for the official answers?

Wulf