1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats Your Best 'Cheapie' Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBassMann, Jul 19, 2007.

1. I usually gig with my Geddy and take a 'spare' in case of a string break or accident. Because it is very light I usually take my Yamaha 170 which was incredibly cheap and has a great sound. At a recent gig comprising 90% male accountants (who hated music...so why book a band ? ) I switched to the Yamaha and played the whole 2nd set with it. The sound was amazing,my shoulder felt great and it got me wondering what gems we are over looking for the sake of 'whats in vogue'
    Whats the best 'value' bass you have got that spends most of its time in a case or on the wall.

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

I suppose it'd be my only cheapie bass, my Squier that I got as my first bass for Xmas '03. It has a new Mighty Mite maple neck on it, strung with flatwounds, and covered with stickers.

My hope, one day, is to get it refinished in black with nitrocellulose paint, stick a black Badass 2, get a black pickguard with only a hole for the output plug, and stick an EMG P-pickup wired straight to the output. And then for good measure another Groove Tubes Fat Finger to get it all good in the hood.

3. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Schecter Model T and MIJ Fender Jazz basses deliver every time.

4. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I really miss my beatup Peavey T20. Got it for $100 and should have kept it.

5. I carry a Jerzy Drozd as a spare.

6. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    I have an OLP 'Ray with a Bartalloni MME and a split coil swith recently dropped into it. the thing is stupidly versatile now.

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    A blue Fender Performer bass that I had a custom black pickguard made with holes for EMG PJ pickups. It was a cool little rockin bass but I moved on and sold it cheap with the original pickups back in it.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Both my basses are kind of in the cheapie catagory. I have a Yamaha BB605 ($350) but I modded it with a Bartolini preamp and pickups for about $300.

My other is a recently acquired Squire 70's vintage jazz for $300. I added a BadAssII bridge and will probably change the chrome knobs to black. So I'll be into that one for about $375. I gigged it last night and it rocked.

9. BenWC87

BenWC87

Jun 10, 2004
    Peavey Milestone IV with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound dropped in. To me, the best sounding and playing p-bass I've ever played... jeez, I need to go play that bass...

10. Washburn Bantam 2000 1 active pickup with String through body and 24 frets. maybe my Favorite bass.

11. Past-Time

Past-Time

Oct 1, 2006
    Yamaha RBX 170... I'm planning to trick it out once I get it back from a friend ..

12. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    Fortunately dollars spent doesn't equal sound quality. You don't necessarily get what you pay for these days.

13. Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

May 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    My Squier Precision. Hands down my favorite bass ever, my pride and joy. 2nd is my SX.

14. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    Ibanez GSR 205 5 string. Actually not a bad bass....think the wife got it for about 300 bucks. I am going to EMGs with it...other than that, I love that thing.

15. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    My OLP MM2 that I added a jazz pickup and 3 way switch to. Then my SX SJB75 with the BAII.

16. Peavey Millenium 4 stringer. $299.99. Can't beat it for diversified sound and supreme playability.....:bassist:

17. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    My only "budget" bass is a natural elm, maple necked, OLP MM 5-string.

It has the best B string that I could find for less than $1,000 and feels and sounds a lot better than the price tag suggests.

With my eyes shut, it's hard to find very much difference between it and my EBMM StingRay. Good instrument!

18. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    My MTD Artist 5 ($450 used on eBay) is my main bass nowadays. I wasn't expecting to like the tone of it as much as I do when I bought it (sight unseen) - I intended it to be a backup only. But, I love it! It can hold it's own with any $1k Ibanez, etc.

- Dave

19. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    GSR200. It's awesome for the price. I liked it better than the RBX170 when I played it.

20. I love my Dean Metalman Z. It's hard as nails and cheap as dirt.