Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your best piece of non-musical equipment?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by eli, May 30, 2003.

1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    What makes your life on the gig easier that isn't a bass or an amp or anything in your signal chain?

My best pieces are:

- A soft-sided suitcase for all of those cables, power strip, music book, mic, guitar stand, and all of the little junk.
    - A folding two-wheeled hand cart. Everything goes in one trip, and no stiff hands to start the gig!

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Boy, is this a loaded question.

Glad you specified.

Answer: #1. My truck that gets me and my gear there and back:
    [​IMG]
    2001 Dodge Dakota Quadcab w/Magnum V8.

#2. Close second: My Rock and Roller foldable equipment cart. Its the $149.95 one you see in the music gear mags, the big one.

:D :D :D

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    that was my answer. My '85 Ford Ranger, longbed. A bit rusty, but I just put a new clutch in 'er. Then straightened the bumper from the hit and run accident, then I am painting the new fender. All in all, and awesome truck.

4. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Victim or Perp???;) :D

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    victim, the jerk... still didn't catch him. The cop on the case was a DUMBA$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyways, yeah, it sucked.

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Maybe this is in the signal chain, sort of...

...but my best equipment on a gig is my custom fitted ear plugs.
    Takes the 'uncomfortable ' out of playing.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd say the rig. Nothing like vehicular transportation. I'd also say I've got enormous love for the super-ergonomic/well placed handles on my Eden XLT. They make carrying that thing less of a pain.

Caster on the cab usually get props from me too.

After that, duct tape and a good knife. Pays to carry a knife on ya. Never know when it'll be handy.

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You never know when you might find yourself trapped under JT's doubleneck, and need amputate your own arm! :eek:

9. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Thought about it for a bit, and couldn't see it in "gig stories"...

10. Lemme think... it'd be one of....

The car, a 1995 Skoda Favorit. Take the rear seats out and I've got a van, but with 5 doors. Can fit in all my rig, and the drummers, and a bit of the PA in.

Swiss Army knife, does this, does that, I use it for this, I use it almost every gig for something or another.

ER-20 earplugs. Used every gig without fail.

11. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Bottled water, at least two.

Flashlight.

Truck.

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    My rock star clothing that attracts all of the groupies. :D Last night we went to a diner after the show (doesn't everybody?) and when we walked a guy in line says to my singer "Hey man, ted Nugent wants his shirt back!" He sang a little bit of Cat Scratch Fever like on cue.

13. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    So the consensus appears to be (in no particular order):

- transportation
    - Knife
    - duct tape
    - gig bag (for little stuff)
    - wheeled cart
    - flashlight

Rookies take note! Except for the truck/car, all of these are relatively inexpnsive and can vastly improve your mood on a gig, mostly in the area of not being exhausted/frazzled at the downbeat.

14. my plymoth grand voyager (it's a beast)

duct tape

a wrench

and definately water.

15. Without repeating all the essential non-musical equipment things that have been offered here (all of which I agree with except for the trucks because I'm not a pickup man - hell, I used to haul three basses and my Lands End stage bag in the back of an Acura Integra!), I'll share the one thing I considered essential to my travels with my first semi-pro band (1985-1987)... my copy of the Minutemen's "My First Bells" tape! And I still have it! :)

16. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Thats great :D I finally found something to put in my sig :p

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I tell yah, nothing like a good knife to improve your mood. :eek: :D

Water is actually also something I think should be on the list. I used to nearly pass out during my bands sets (ask Brad Barker, he could explain why. :)) and I started bringing two two liter bottles filled with ice (freeze, two day before, fill about half way), by the time I needed them, they'd be melted enough to drink, pour over my head, lend a sip to my drummer, ect.

18. Ear plugs (ER-20s) and $3 outlet tester.

19. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Uh....cuz stages tend to be dark (especially behind big bass rigs).

Plus, you're still young. Wait till your vision starts to go (in about 14 years when you hit 30). :cool: ;) :D