What's your current FX Setup?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Krazy Kow, Sep 17, 2000.

1. Question: What's your current Effects setup, and what do you use it for?
    I have very few pedals, but I'm looking for new ones.
    I have a Boss Bass Synth, a Boss Metal Zone, a Boss Flanger, and a Dunlop Crybaby at the end.
    Ok Desu Ka.
    Krazy kow
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Good (rackmount) compressor (Behringer) and a BBE Sonic Maximizer - I simply refuse to play without it :)

A George Dennis Optical Volume - great for creating chordal sounds without attack along with my Danelectro Cool Cat Stereo Chorus.

Boss OC-2 Octaver - This is a true bass effects classic (listen to Pino Palladino on Pete Townsend's Give Blood)

Boss BF-2 Flanger - for dirty slap whirls (guitar flanger)
  3. Orgy_Fan

Sep 19, 2000
    I like synth stuff a lot. I also like Whammy and Distortion.

I have: (in order)

- Digitech Whammy
    - 4 Boss SYB-3 Bass Synthesizers
    - Boss FZ-3 Fuzz
    - DOD A/B Switch
    - Digitech XP-200 Modulator
  4. geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    Here's what I user currently (in no particular order since I change them up quite often...)
    • BBE 482 Sonic Maximizer
    • dbx 160A Compressor/Limiter
    • Ernie Ball Volume Pedal (soon to be replaced)
    • z.fex Volume Probe (best volume pedal ever, swells supreme.)
    • Mu-Tron III+ Evelope Filter (Not as good as the original, but good for what I use it for)
    • Line 6 Delay Modeler (pretty good, temporary till I get my Boomerang and Deluxe Memory Man)
    • BigBriar Low Pass Filter (awesome...awesome...)
    • Electro Harmonix Bass Balls
    • Electro Harmonix Bass Synth
    • Old Maxon rack mount multi-effect (has an incredible phaser)
    • Dunlop 105Q Wah Wah (My favorite bass wah)
    • Electro Harmonix ring modulator (good in small doses)
    • VooDoo Labs Tremelo

On the list for purchase...
    • Lovetone Meatball
    • Lovetone Wobulator
    • Boomerang Phrase Sampler
    • Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man
    • A 2nd Electro Harmonix Bass Synth
    • EBS Octabass
    • 2 Boss SYB-3's
    • Digitech Wammy
    • SWR Interstellar Overdrive

Well, that was fun. I hope you can get something useful from that. ;)

Say, Orgy_Fan...is that the "new" re-issue Whammy? Let me know what you think if it is.

[Edited by geo? on 09-19-2000 at 07:34 PM]
  5. Orgy_Fan

Sep 19, 2000
    Yes it is...

It doesnt sound very good on Bass as it does on guitar but thats why i bought it! hehe...

I like the "fake" sounding effects. And thats exactly how it sounds, fake. I love it! It goes good with my "synth metal" band.
  6. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Here's what I'm running:

Boss ODB-3 (overdrive)
    Boss BF-2 (flanger)
    MXR Phase 90 (phaser)
    Danelectro Dan-Echo (delay)

I have all of those tied into a Digital Music Corp. Guitar Audio Swithcer (all you do is plug in the ins and outs, then send the signal to the next loop) which I control with the DMC Ground Control pedal. I hit one pedal, and three effects come on at once, hit another one and it's clean. This was just easier than hitting all my pedals, and I can keep them in a rack which makes it that much harder to steal.

7. Troutdog

Sep 29, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Here's what I use:

dbx compressor
    boss overdrive/distortion
    boss chorus
    zoom 506
    dod envelope filter (I like this one)

I am considering an EH Bassballs- anyone have any comments?

8. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    I have a DOD Overdrive set to max gain and tone all the way down for a muddy crunch distortion; a Boss Bass Overdrive set to min gain, max overdrive, boost bass/cut treble; a Boss Bass Chorus with 3/4 effect level, 1/2 whatever the second knob is, 1/2 rate, and 3/4 depth; and a Ernie Ball Volume pedal. :) I'm looking for a weirder sound though. I am looking for a used Boss Flanger, Boss Bass Synth, and a Boss Octaver. Maybe and old envelope filter too. I am also looking for a fake sound Orgy-Fan. Hey man, do you like New Order?
  9. puppeteering

Mar 16, 2000
    Trace Elliot 'preamp/shape' (GRAPHIC EQ/BOOSTER)
    Z Vex 'Wooly Mammoth' (BASS FUZZ) or Budda 'PhatBass' (TUBE DISTORTION)
    Z Vex 'Seek Wah' or Electro Harmonix 'Bass-Microsynth'
    EBS 'Octabass' (OCTAVE)
    MoogerFooger RING MODULATOR
    Carl Martin 'COMPRESSOR'
    EBS 'Unichorus' (CHORUS/FLANGER) or Electro Harmonix 'Small Stone' (PHASER)
    Lexicon 'JamMan' w/upgrade (SAMPLER/LOOPER)
    Aguilar DB680 (tube bass preamp- so fat it qualifies as an effect)

Just got the Line6 this weekend... very ingenious device. Massive potential for tweakage here. I used the sampler modeler to create sound-fx sounding reverse loops at 1/2 speed and 2x speed, and the 2ns sampler, the JAMMAN to capture it all within the context of a groove. It's a disease I tell ya a disease......
  10. puppeteering

Mar 16, 2000
    Nails, good thought to use the Digital Music Corp guitar switcher... I've been waiting for the Carl Martin 'Combinator' to come out and handle the loop and effects switching capablities.

Does the MIDI controller respond well - and does it have a momentary hesitation when you click a button to change effects loops? Sounds like a good option...

Have your checked accessories at http://www.pedalboard.com? They seem to have quite a few ideas to offer the effects user...

11. I'm using a
    Line6BassPOD (some effect here are OK)
    Electro Harmonix 2 original BassBalle
    Bass MicroSynth
    Octave MultiPlexer(original and beat to hell)
    PolyPhase (walking wounded but trying to get it fixed)
    Systech Overdrive
    Zoom 506 (first one in town)
    DanElectro Daddy-O Distortion
    Milkshake Micre Chorus
    MXR 6 band EQ beat to pieces but still works
    Noise Gate LineDriver DI [original]
    Boss PSM5 as power supply and effects loop switcher.
    Dean Markley Talk Box 100
    Bellari Srereo Tube Direct Box
  12. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    puppeteering-beware I get wordy about my effects situation.

Midi controller responds amazingly. I like it because of the banks of ten work well for how I use it (I have a total of less than 20 effect combinations, but use 2 full banks so I can repeat combinations that I use most often so I'm not always changing banks.) Also you can name you're combinations on a large LCD. The only downfall is the pedal doesn't say which effects are on, but the rack unit does so I guess it evens out. The big plus is I can keep my effects in a rack away from drunken stage divers and theft. Also all I have to plug in is my bass to the GCX, GCX to my head, Ground Control to GCX. Three cables sure beats what I had to do before I got it.

The downfall I see from the Combinator is that you just plug the pedals into the Combinator. That puts all your effects on the front of the stage just hanging on by 2 cables to another pedal. Of course a pedal board would cure some of my woes about that. I've never seen one in real life, just pictures, I don't know how well it works, or how you program it. I say if it works for you, go for it, you'll probably get to do the same thing I do, but spend less money.

I also haven't looked at http://www.pedalboard.com yet, but I'm going to check it out after I post this. Maybe I'll find something cool.

Hope that the Combinator works for you, if that's what you end up getting.

13. Here's what I use:

In this order at the moment:

Boss FT-2 Dynamic filter, enveloper, discontinued.
    Boss CEB-3 Bass chorus
    Boss BF-2 Flanger

and in and out on various positions the Boss Hyper Fuzz FZ-2 I think it is dicontinued now.

Soon I might change the FT-2 for an EBS BassiQ, tried one today and loved it.
  14. puppeteering

Mar 16, 2000
    The Talk box is something I've thought would be an interesting effect on bass... bassbrad, how often do you use that unit, and what are your opinions on it?!

15. Usedtobejim

Jan 3, 2000
    Boss TU Tuner
    EH Bassballs

Not using much of the bassballs lately but will purchase a chorus soon.
  16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    BBE/Q-Tron/Boss bass synth/ digitech BP8.
    For rehearsals and just mucking around Zoom bfx708.