What's Your Dream Bass If You Could Mix And Match Parts From Different Manufactures?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HELLonWHEELS, Jul 24, 2018.

1. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    For this thread I want to know what people's dream basses that would require mix and matching parts from different manufactures. These would be basses their due to business, patent, copyright, trademark or whatever reason the manufacture decided it wouldn't be a good idea to create this bass.

...Or maybe you've made your dream a reality, the new flea bass comes to mind as an example, with a Fender Jazz body & neck with a Modulus Musicman Pickup.

fender-jazz-modified-with-humbucker-pickup-xl.jpg

Really wish I had my photoshop license still :( , may be I can mockup some of the popular choices if I can figure out how to use one of the free programs.

Son of Wobble and Bassist Jay like this.
  2. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Wal electronics/pups.
    Pedulla unlined fretless neck.
    Body from Ritter after telling him "do whatever craziness you want".
    Absurdly ornate carved double bass headstock with extender, something like a half eagle half woman with afro wearing roller skates.
    Sims leds on the side and the eyes of disco harpy of course.
    Broughton tube DI on board with separate out and switchable pre/post Wal preamp.
    Bridge from Bruce Johnson (scroll bass guy).
    Fender 70's Precision logo, neckplate, knobs.
    Screws from Home Depot.
    Custom boar's hide leather pickguard from M.K. Holloway.
    Washed down after every gig with the tears of the envious.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Mine would have an Ibanez SR bass body and head; the fretboard radius, neck profile, frets and pickup location from a Sting signature bass; 5 piece maple/walnut laminate bolt on neck construction from a Dean Rhapsody 8 string; single narrow-ish humbucker from a Jackson JPB9; on-off switch-only wiring from a Fodera Anthony Jackson sig; and a 22 fret neck.

4. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    P-bass with flats and a tort guard ;)

5. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I had mine built a few weeks ago from a local cat here in town
    oh see thread :)
    NBBD Pittman !

6. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    My Carlo pretty much nailed it. Got it from Carl as it was a used piece that had come back from a customer. It's a very unusual combination of specs that I've never seen (not sure some can even be ordered) from Lakland and fit me like nothing I'd ever played before.

-It's got the body/pups/electronics of a Lakland 4-94
    -It's got the scale length (35") of a long scale
    -The width of the oldest classic p-basses (1.75")
    -The very slim (front to back(neck shape that is incredibly similar to my very comfortable MIM P-bass.
    -Block Inlays like a 70's Jazz -except they're Birdseye maple.
    -Just to keep it interesting it's a 3-piece neck of Maple/Jatoba akin to so many other "modern" style basses.

BBassBassington likes this.
  7. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    Sire Jazz with Rickenbacker electronics.

Jaco Taco, bdgotoh and nattiep like this.
  8. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Trashed 62 P body
    Sadowsky or Warmoth 5 string neck, maple or ebony board
    Nordy P5
    Fralin J5
    Some decent bridge
    Passive.

I would only do this to a basket case body.

ShirazBop and two fingers like this.
  9. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Give GIMP a try (unless you are on a Mac, I am not sure if it is available for iOS), it can do just about anything PS can do and it is free.

I moved over from PS to GIMP many years ago and have never regretted it.

Aqualung60, tubatodd and HELLonWHEELS like this.
  10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I made mine - put an ACG filter preamp in my Zon fretless. Best of 2 worlds. Out of this world.

Jared Lash likes this.
  11. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    Am not lusting after any particular body style, but if I was, I'd want to graft a Guild Starfire neck and Bi-sonic pups onto it.

Pretty sure I can already get that combo on...let's see...oh, yeah: a Guild Starfire.

GAS cured.

12. Ibanez SR with a Dingwall selector switch to replace the blend control ... don't like blend controls. I might also swap out the pre for a Microtubes Tone Capsule.

13. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Oh I forgot- I want a 5 string Tractor Bass.
    Nevermind that there are absolutely zero humbucker shaped 5 string bisonics or Darkstar pickups.
    Still want.

14. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Gibson Thunderbird with a neck shaped and sized like a '56 or '57 Precision - soft v back and wide fretboard. That would make me happy.

15. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That's exactly what I did with my fretless.

I took the elements I liked best from different fretless basses and combined them.

From a Roscoe I grabbed the Bart electronics (quad coils and NTMB GFL preamp) and pickup placement.

Based on the Pedulla Pentabuzz I had it made as a neckthrough with a polyester coated ebony fingerboard.

From the FBass Alain Caron I took the chambered flame maple body wings, subtle side lines and piezo setup.

The shape is influenced by the Zon Sonus and Warwick Fortress.

Not fretless basses but I picked the top because it reminded me of an MTD I loved the look of and the zebrano neck stringers are inspired by one of Carey Nordstrand's personal basses.

I hoped combining all the things I loved along with Chris Stambaugh's neck shape (which feels like home) and great build quality would create the perfect fretless. And (for me and what I like) it absolutely did.

IMG_20180508_115326.jpg

MVIMG_20180530_194143.jpg
    IMG_20180508_115545.jpg

16. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    I'll take an Alembic Series II 4-string with the curved & contoured body of the NS-2 Spector.

17. I'll take a Rickenbacker husk with anyone else's parts on it. Original tuners are fine.
    IMG_0800.jpg IMG_0786.jpg

18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The whole “dream bass” thing is why I build my own - I get to make my own dreams.

19. Waltsdog

Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    The DingRay is my dream bass, maybe one day it will become a reality.
    Dingwall bass with a Stingray type shape, preamp and pickup (preferably an HH):
    A0D079C7-9F15-4A65-9E5C-3D1CD2F0EA1B.jpeg

20. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Just got GIMP, it's going to take a little while for me to get used to/figure out the new shortcuts.

JACink likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021