Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats your fav Stanley Clarke album?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Jun 21, 2001.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Just wondering? What was your fav stuff he did?

2. Hmmm...
    there are several reasons why I can't really give an answer to this question.

1) I don't have all his albums
    2) I don't have all the albums he's ever played on
    3) I think it's already too hard to choose out of the ones that I do have.

:p

3. school days

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Moved to "recordings"

5. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I think his first is still his best, but Journey to Love and School Days are close seconds.

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    "School Days" and "If This Bass Could talk" is great and w/ RTF "Romantic Warrior" and "Where Have I Known You Before"
    are AWESOME.

On "If This Bass Could Talk" I love the jam with Stanley Clarke jamming to Gregory Hines tap dancing, total improv.

7. My fav is 'I Wanna Play For You'.

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Bass-ic Collection - The Best of Stanley Clarke :)

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Electric: "If This Bass Could Talk". Most of Stanley's albums haven't aged particularly well; this one is the exception. Still sounds pretty fresh.

Acoustic: "Rite of Strings". Horrible title; great tone and playing.

For pure cheese, I like "Time Exposure"; has the whole "Solid Gold" early-80s cheesy-synth-laden Thriller-wannabe future-is-now vibe to it.

10. I'll vote for School Days.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    BrewCrew-
    ...his first 'solo' album was Children Of Forever; is that the one you like or are you talking about his 2nd, Stanley Clarke(which has "Lopsy Lu" on it)?
    (Children Of Forever is primarily an acoustic album; it's been years since I played it...nothing really memorable, IMO).

Some Clarke hi-lights for me(in addition to what's already been mentioned)-
    The early Return To Forever albums(Light As A Feather, Return To Forever, Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy...later, Romantic Warrior).
    Also, Stan Getz' Captain Marvel album(with Tony Williams, Corea, Airto).

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd have to say school days as well.

13. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Its cool to me to see so many of you into a real bass player! I was afraid there wouldnt be alot of people say anything on this thread! Very cool guys!

14. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    School Days....and Modern Man.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think that the actual "solos" albums are "patchy", but his playing with others is usually very good - I really like "Light as a Feather" amazing double bass solos!!

16. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Nobody's mentioned "Find Out!" at all. Granted, it was kind of commercial R&B cheese, but he did some great soloing on it, and sounded like he doubled his lines with a Minimoog or something to really fatten them up. It kind of woke me up to the fact that bass solos can fit into commercial music without sounding out of place.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This seems to be Marcus Miller's main aim at the moment - judging from what I've read in interviews recently. He mentioned in one I read that he saw Jazz as throwing stuff at people, whereas R&B was more participative and inclusive.

I must say that I like Stanley Clarke's bass solos on the "Vertu" album, much more than any of the guitar solos!!

18. I ran across "If This Bass Could Talk" used the other day for $6USD so I bought it. I've listened to it once so far and I don't like it. Way too over-produced and sterile sounding IMO. My vote still goes to "School Days."

Anybody want to trade for "If This Bass Could Talk"? All jazz related trades considered.

19. School Days ! .... what... is there another one ?

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Self-titled LP and "School Days". "Stanley Clarke" was a jaw-dropper when it came out in the 70's.